Family-Style Gumbo That Feeds the Heart and Soul
Prep Time | 2.5 Hours
Servings: 12 Servings
Wine Varietal: Red Blend
Spicy, eclectic, and full of flavor, we’re bringing you our Sutter Home Kitchen Series Recipe for Gumbo—just in time for Mardi Gras!
Also known as Creole Stew, this official state cuisine of Louisiana is a true melting pot of flavors that combines ingredients and culinary practices from several cultures, including African, French, Spanish, German, and Choctaw. Legend has it that the word gumbo was derived from the West African word for okra (ki ngombo or quingombo), an ingredient often found in gumbo recipes.
Traditionally, there are two variations of gumbo: Cajun and Creole. A staple in New Orleans and southeastern Louisiana, Creole gumbo often consists of shellfish and tomatoes, while the spicier Cajun gumbo common in the southwestern region often calls for chicken, duck, or sausage along with vegetables such as onion and bell pepper.
Our favorite thing about this flavor-packed recipe? It’s as much a one-pot meal of comfort food as it is an exotic dish filled with international flavor and flair. Once you pair it with our Sutter Home Red Blend, you’ll be ready for a comforting, casual yet memorable meal that all of your guests will love cozying up to.
More comfort food awaits with our recipe for Loaded Potato Soup: Scrumptious, Satisfying Loaded Potato Soup Puts the Comfort in Comfort Food.
Sutter Home Red Blend Gumbo Recipe Ingredients:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup Sutter Home Red Blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (16-oz.) packages frozen cut okra, thawed
- 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pounds unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon filé powder
- Hot cooked rice
Sutter Home Red Blend Gumbo Directions:
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat; add onion, celery, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper, sauté together.
- Add Sutter Home Red Blend and reduce.
- Add in tomatoes, okra, broth, bay leaves, and filé powder.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 2 hours.
- Add shrimp and hot sauce, cook about 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Serve over rice.