You’ll Go Bananas for Every Slice of Our Banana Cream Pie
Prep Time | 30 Minutes
Servings: Makes 1 Pie
Wine Varietal: Chardonnay
Fluffy, creamy, dreamy, and piled miles high with vanilla meringue, this recipe for banana cream pie will have friends and family smiling with delight from the first bite.
We love pies covered in toppings and filled with fruit, so the famous banana cream pie is definitely one of our favorites — and soon to be yours, too. In fact, it’s so full of sweet bananas and other yummy goodness that it happens to be one of America’s most popular cream pies. Many recipes for this timeless dessert date back to 19th-century recipe books, so you know it must be tasty considering the recipe is still going strong.
Pair a slice with the fresh fruit and scrumptious tasting notes of our Sutter Home Chardonnay, and you’ll have a dessert and wine pairing that proves far more memorable than you could ever imagine.
If you love pies of all kinds, try our savory recipe for Sutter Home Mini Chicken Pot Pies.
Sutter Home Banana Cream Pie
For the pie filling:
- 1 (9-inch) pre-baked graham cracker pie shell
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten (reserve the egg whites for meringue)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 ½ tablespoon vanilla
- 2 large bananas, sliced
For the meringue:
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
For the pie:
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, bring mixture to boil for 1 minute or until mixture thickens.
- Gradually stir egg yolks into mixture. Bring back to a boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, vanilla.
- In pie shell, place sliced bananas in single layer.
- Pour pudding mixture over the bananas.
For the meringue:
- With mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tarter until foamy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until consistency becomes glossy and forms peaks. Do not under beat.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Spoon meringue on top of pie, spreading over filling. Seal meringue to the edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping. Using the back of a spoon, gently press down on the meringue and lift lightly to form peaks all over the top.
- Place in a preheated 400°F oven and bake for 8-12 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool pie and slice to serve. Add banana slices if desired. Refrigerate any leftovers.