We’re Falling in Love with Our Book Club Wedding Cake with Sutter Home Rosé
Prep Time | 2 Hours
Servings: Makes 1 Cake
Wine Varietal: Rosé
Summer love and blushing brides are on our minds with our latest book club read, Dorothea Benton Frank’s By Invitation Only. So, bring on the wedding … cake! With this delectable recipe by the author herself, you can re-create your favorite parts of a wedding reception — without the pain of wearing heels — from the comfort of your own home.
This gorgeous cake pairs delightfully with Sutter Home Rosé, which is like a rose garden party in a bottle. It’s more than a dessert … it’s amore. Share the love.
In case you missed the review of By Invitation Only, get caught up here: Get Lost in an Irresistible Story with By Invitation Only and Sutter Home Wine
Mimi’s Pound Cake
- 3 cups plain flour (not self-rising)
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
Heat oven to 325 F.
- Generously grease and lightly flour a tube pan.
- Sift flour 3 times.
- Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Beat only until each disappears.
- Blend in 1 cup flour followed by 1/2 cup whipping cream.
- Repeat with 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup whipping cream.
- Add remaining flour. Fold in vanilla.
- Add batter to pan, level it, and drop it flat on the counter to knock out the air bubbles.
- Place in center of the oven and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until it has browned on top and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.*
- Remove from oven. Wait 10 minutes and invert on a cake plate.
- Do not cover until cool to the touch.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Rind of that lemon, finely grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon butter
Dorothea Benton Frank’s Directions to make the Wedding Cake Directions:
- Stir cornstarch and salt into the sugar.
- In a heavy pot or double boiler, add water, lemon juice, and egg yolk.
- Put over high heat and stir in dry ingredients.
- Cook until you see a bubble or it thickens.
- Remove from heat; stir in finely grated lemon rind and butter.
- Cool and pour over cake.
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 teaspoons chopped semisweet chocolate
Important to Note: In food processor or blender, combine all ingredients except chocolate. Process until very smooth. Stir in chocolate. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.