We’re Falling in Love with Our Book Club Wedding Cake with Sutter Home Rosé
Prep Time | 2 Hours
Servings: Makes 1 Cake
Wine Varietal: Rosé
Tags: Sutter Home Book Club, Rose, cake, pound cake, lemon glaze, wedding cake, cannoli, recipe, book club, dessert
Summer love and blushing brides are on our minds with our latest book club read, Dorothea Benton Frank’s By Invitation Only. So, bring on the wedding … cake! With this delectable recipe by the author herself, you can re-create your favorite parts of a wedding reception — without the pain of wearing heels — from the comfort of your own home.
This gorgeous cake pairs delightfully with Sutter Home Rosé, which is like a rose garden party in a bottle. It’s more than a dessert … it’s amore. Share the love.
In case you missed the review of By Invitation Only, get caught up here: Get Lost in an Irresistible Story with By Invitation Only and Sutter Home Wine
Mimi’s Pound Cake
- 3 cups plain flour (not self-rising)
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
Heat oven to 325 F.
- Generously grease and lightly flour a tube pan.
- Sift flour 3 times.
- Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Beat only until each disappears.
- Blend in 1 cup flour followed by 1/2 cup whipping cream.
- Repeat with 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup whipping cream.
- Add remaining flour. Fold in vanilla.
- Add batter to pan, level it, and drop it flat on the counter to knock out the air bubbles.
- Place in center of the oven and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until it has browned on top and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.*
- Remove from oven. Wait 10 minutes and invert on a cake plate.
- Do not cover until cool to the touch.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Rind of that lemon, finely grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon butter
Dorothea Benton Frank’s Directions to make the Wedding Cake Directions:
- Stir cornstarch and salt into the sugar.
- In a heavy pot or double boiler, add water, lemon juice, and egg yolk.
- Put over high heat and stir in dry ingredients.
- Cook until you see a bubble or it thickens.
- Remove from heat; stir in finely grated lemon rind and butter.
- Cool and pour over cake.
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 teaspoons chopped semisweet chocolate
Important to Note: In food processor or blender, combine all ingredients except chocolate. Process until very smooth. Stir in chocolate. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.