The Ultimate Southern Comfort Food: Fried Green Tomatoes and Sutter Home Sweet Riesling
Prep Time | 20-30 Minutes
Servings: 6 Servings
Wine Varietal: Riesling Moscato
Tags: riesling, wine and food, food recipe, southern, fried green tomatoes, comfort food, tomato, recipe
If you’ve ever wined and dined in the South, you’ve probably heard of the fried green tomato. After all, fried cuisine is a southern staple, and this juicy fruit is no exception! The ripe, succulent, and slightly sweet flavor of the tomato lends itself perfectly to the crispy, savory effect of the fryer for a classic country dish that practically defines comfort food.
Although the fried green tomato is most often associated with southern cooking, its origins can unexpectedly be traced back to the northeast and midwest. In fact, the fried green tomato is believed to be linked to Jewish immigrants through recipes that date back to the late 19th century—who knew?!
No matter the history, once you fry up this mouthwatering, eye-opening dish, you’ll understand why it’s such a beloved recipe. Pair it with Sutter Home Sweet Riesling for a delightful addition that complements savory fare with fresh, tropical fruit flavors.
Craving more comfort food? Try this satisfying pairing of Classic Fried Chicken & Sutter Home Rosé.
Fried Green Tomato Recipe Ingredients:
- 3 fresh green tomatoes, cored and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup unseasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (ground red pepper)
- oil for frying
Fried Green Tomato Recipe Instructions:
- Season green tomato slices with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Using three shallow bowls, place the flour in one bowl, the beaten eggs in another, and the Panko, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and cayenne in the last bowl. Mix the Panko mixture well.
- Working one slice at a time, dredge the tomatoes in the flour, then the eggs, and finally coat well with the Panko. Shake off excess.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Fry tomato slices on both sides until golden brown and drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm.
Pair with Sutter Home Riesling and a spicy ranch or horseradish sauce!