Our Cannellini Bean Soup Recipe and Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon Will Have You Saying, “Amore!”
Prep Time | 40 Minutes
Servings: 8 Servings
Wine Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon
A taste of the Mediterranean comes home with this cannellini bean soup recipe and our Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon.
Cannellini Bean Soup Ingredients:
- 2 cups dry cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 small (6-inch long) carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 4 celery stalks (the tender inner stalks with leaves), peeled and chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cannellini Bean Soup Directions:
- Rinse the beans well, combine and place in a large pot. Cover the beans with 4 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, cover, and turn off the heat. Soak for 1 hour.
- Place the olive oil, onions, and garlic in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. When the garlic begins to sizzle, after about 30 seconds, add the carrots and celery and continue to cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, basil, and parsley, and cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add 6 cups of the soaked beans, cover with 10 cups of cold water, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, partially covered, until the beans are tender and creamy, at least 1 ½ hours but up to 2 1/2 hours. Add water if necessary, to achieve desired consistency; the soup should be thick. Add the salt halfway through the cooking. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, freshly black ground black pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.