Gather ‘Round the Picnic Table with Our Summer Succotash & Sutter Home Sweet Red
Prep Time | 30 Minutes
Servings: 4-6 Servings
Wine Varietal: Sweet Red Wine
When everyone’s gathered around the picnic table, you’ll want to serve something that’s bright, colorful and irresistibly delicious. Our Summer Succotash is just that: fresh, flavorful and too good not to share!
Did you know that the word “succotash” comes from the Native American word “sohquttahhash,” which translates to “broken corn kernels?” Our tasty version combines those sunny yellow morsels with juicy, vine-ripened tomatoes and other seasonal veggies for a wholesome dish the whole family can enjoy.
Not only will everyone want to dig into this side dish, but you’ll look forward to prepping it, too. Toss it together in under 30 minutes for a last-minute dinner, picnic or barbecue. In fact, we think it’s the most satisfying summer salad you could wish for.
Looking for a wine that will go with it? Sutter Home Sweet Red will complement the sweet corn kernels with its flavors of ripened cherries and peaches. So the next time you’ve got a crowd to feed, uncork Sutter Home Sweet Red and serve our Summer Succotash as you watch the sun go down.
Enjoy even more summer flavors with this recipe for a colorful and flavorful burrito bowl: Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a Colorful, Flavorful & Festive Burrito Bowl.
Summer Succotash Ingredients:
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ stick of butter
- 1 frozen bag lima beans, follow directions on bag
- ½ lb. fresh okra, sliced
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 lb. bacon cooked crispy and chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 can of yellow corn, or 5 ears of grilled corn
Summer Succotash Directions:
- In a pan on med high, melt ¼ stick of butter. Once melted, add diced onions and cook until translucent.
- Add all prepped and chopped ingredients to pan and sauté together for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve warm or refrigerate for later use, and pair with Sutter Home Sweet Red.