RECIPES: Recipe Details
Portabello Burgers with Cheddar and Grill Red Peppers
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1 tablespoon soy sauce
½ tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced or pushed through a press
4 large portabello mushrooms, each 4 to 5 inches in diameter, stems and gills removed, wiped clean
1 red onion, cut crosswise into four ½-inch slices
2 medium red bell peppers, each cut into 4 planks
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 slices mild cheddar cheese
4 hamburger buns, split
20 small fresh basil leaves
1. Whisk the marinade ingredients. Reserve L cup of the marinade in a separate bowl for basting the mushrooms and brushing the buns.
2. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
3. Generously brush the mushrooms and onion slices with the remaining marinade. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
4. Season the vegetables evenly with the salt and pepper. Grill the mushrooms, gill side down first, over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 8 to 12 minutes, basting with half of the reserved marinade and turning occasionally. At the same time, grill the bell peppers and onion over direct medium heat until tender, 8 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally. During the last 30 seconds to 1 minute of grilling time, place one slice of cheese on the gill side of each mushroom to melt, and toast the buns, cut side down, over direct heat.
5. Brush the cut side of the buns with the remaining reserved marinade. Build each burger on a bun with two bell pepper planks, one mushroom, an onion slice, and five basil leaves. Serve immediately.
©2014 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Recipe from Weber’s Big Book of Burgers™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission.