Scrumptious, Satisfying Loaded Potato Soup Puts the Comfort in Comfort Food
Prep Time | 30-45 minutes
Servings: Serves 2-4
Wine Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon
Tags: recipe, potato soup, cabernet sauvignon, winter, Loaded Potato Soup, bread bowl, potato, sourdough bread, Bacon, Cheese
This time of year, we could all use a bit of soul-warming comfort food that satisfies and soothes us from the inside out. Our scrumptious, satiating recipe for Loaded Potato Soup does exactly that.
This rich and creamy dish fills you up and warms the heart, with toppings of bacon and cheese that melt effortlessly together. We’re serving ours in a delectable Italian Bread Bowl, which happens to be as easy to make as it is scrumptious to eat. In fact, you can use these homemade bread bowls for countless other dishes from chilis and chowders to stews and even salads.
Serve with Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon for an even more enjoyable dining experience. The rich aromas of this red wine delight the senses, leading to full-bodied, dark fruit flavors with hints of toasty vanilla goodness.
When your soul (and stomach!) need some comforting, turn to our Loaded Potato Soup, Warm Bread Bowls, and Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon.
Want more ways to warm up? Indulge in this recipe for Red Wine Hot Chocolate.
Sutter Home Loaded Potato Soup Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups whole milk plus additional for thinning soup
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese or cheese of your choice
- 2 cups baked potato scooped out or in chunks
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- crumbled cooked bacon
- additional grated cheese
- sour cream
- chopped chives or green onion
- 2-4 Medium Round Sourdough Bread (size depending on the portion you like)
Sutter Home Loaded Potato Soup Directions:
- Melt butter in a stockpot over medium to medium-high heat. Add flour, whisk and continue to cook for about two minutes, add salt and pepper. Whisk in broth. Stir until smooth. Turn heat to medium.
- Slowly add milk, continue to whisk. Add grated cheese and whisk.
- Fold in cooked potato. Cook until bubbly and smooth.
- Just before serving, add sour cream. Heat until bubbly. Turn heat to simmer.
- Scoop out bread bowls. Serve soup in bowls, add milk if the soup gets too thick.
- Top with crumbled bacon, grated cheese, chives, and a spoonful of sour cream.
- Serves 2-4, about 1 1/2 cup servings.