Our Deviled Egg Recipes and Sutter Home Pinot Grigio Make for Eggscellent Pairings
Prep Time | 1 Hour
Servings: 8 Servings
Wine Varietal: Pinot Grigio
A welcome addition to any appetizer table, these heavenly tasting deviled eggs are a classic dish with origins that trace back to ancient Rome. Deviled eggs were such an everyday part of entertaining for the Romans that they had a saying, “ab ova usque ad mala.” Translated to “from eggs to apples,” the phrase was meant to signify the beginning of a meal to the end.
The term “devil” has slightly newer origins, however, with the first known printed mention as a culinary term appearing in Great Britain in 1786. The designation caught on as a reference to many dishes that included hot ingredients or were highly seasoned. How cool (or should we say hot) is that fact? Today, home cooks experiment with a variety of fillings, such as pickles, dill, bacon, crab meat, Sriracha, kimchi, wasabi, and caviar.
No matter how you enjoy preparing your little “devils,” one thing is certain: Our crisp and refreshing Sutter Home Pinot Grigio, with its juicy pear and light bright apple flavor, makes for the perfect complement.
For more ways to spice up your wine pairings, try this match made in comfort food heaven: Crispy Fried Chicken & Sutter Home Rosé.
Classic Deviled Eggs Topped with Chives
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Hot sauce
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Smoked paprika, for garnish
- Place eggs in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Set pan over medium-high heat and bring water to a boil. Turn off heat, cover pan with a lid and let sit for 11 minutes. Drain, rinse eggs under cold water and peel.
- Halve eggs crosswise and scoop out yolks into a medium bowl. Add mayonnaise, hot sauce, and Dijon mustard to bowl, then mash yolks with the back of a fork and stir until mixture is smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a small cookie or ice cream scoop, scoop mixture into each egg. Garnish with chives and paprika and serve.
Red Pepper Deviled Eggs Topped with Paprika
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons roasted red bell peppers, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Harissa seasoning (can be in a dried or paste form)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- paprika, for garnish and sprinkling on the top
- Follow steps 1 and 2 from above.
- Break up the egg yolks with a fork, then add all the ingredients except the paprika. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Fill each egg white half with an equal amount of the yolk mixture and sprinkle each on top with the paprika. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to use.
- Top with Fresh Tarragon