Celebrate the Fourth of July with Cowboy Hot Dogs & Sutter Home
This Fourth of July, toast to family, friends, and freedom with Sutter Home Pinot Grigio plus a savory recipe for the grill that the whole family can enjoy.
Is there anything more American than deliciously grilled hot-diggity dogs? How about Cowboy Hot Dogs? This flavor-packed meal is piled high with sweet caramelized onions, smoky bacon, and a sprinkling of white cheddar.
You may be wondering, “Why Cowboy Hot Dogs?” This July 4th also happens to be National Country Music Day, and we know you enjoy connecting with the sweet harmonies of country music as much as we do.
As you gather around the grill and turn up the country tunes, share some sparklers and Sutter Home Pinot Grigio. It’s fruity, refreshing, and the perfect complement to savory fare. Sutter Home Pinot Grigio, Cowboy Hot Dogs, and country music all come together to showcase the true American spirit of Independence Day.
Cowboy Hot Dogs paired with Sutter Home Pinot Grigio
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 bunch parsley, roughly chopped for garnish
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat or over charcoal- or wood-fired grill heated to medium (about 350 degrees). Add onion, and cook until deep golden and translucent (about 20 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Grill hot dogs until slightly charred all over (about 6 minutes), turning occasionally. Add buns, and grill, turning frequently until warmed and lightly charred (about 3 minutes).
- Spread buns with mayonnaise, drizzle with mustard and barbecue sauce. Place hot dogs in buns.
- Sprinkle cheese on top, followed by caramelized onions and bacon.
- Garnish with roughly chopped parsley.