Sauvi French Tonion
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I used organic)
- 1/2 Cup French’s fried onions (ground like bread crumbs)
- 2 Teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 liquid smoke
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Teaspoon better bouillon + 1/4 Cup Cabernet + 1/4 Cup water
- 2 sweet yellow onion
- 2 T salted butter + enough to spread on buns
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 6 large cloves garlic (minced and split)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Cup spring mix
- Mayonnaise (lite)
- 1/2 Cup Cherry pepper (finely chopped
- 2 T lite cream cheese (softened)
- 4 Provolone cheese slices
- 4 Wheat buns
- 1. make the broth. combine the beef base and the cabernet and microwave 1 minute. Stir when
- 2 make the beef. Add first 6 ingredients and 1/4 Cup of broth mixture. Mixture must be cool so it doesn’t start to cook the beef. let this meat rest so the onion breading can start to absorb the broth.
- 3. make the onions. peel first layer of onion away and cut in half so that you next cuts will make half rings. IN a large saute pan over medium heat add the two table spoons of butter and the onions. Add the sea salt, and thyme. You need to work the pan so that you do not burn the onions. This will take about 15-20 minutes. At the 10 minute mark, add the remaining broth, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme. Let this simmer till the liquid is completely gone. You will have a rich dark colored caramelized onion topping. Make sure to pull out the bay leaf.
- 4. make the spread. Using mayo, minced cherry peppers, remaning garlic, and softened cream cheese mix until one consistency is formed. It will take a yellowish color from the color of the peppers. IF serving immediately let sit at room temperature to help extract the flavors. I recommend making this the day before and putting in your fridge overnight.
- 5. Make the burgers. Portion the beef in to 6 equal sized burgers. should be approx. 5 inches in diameter. This way when it cooks and shrinks it will sit edge to edge on your bun. The bread crumbs will help absorb more of the juices that are let out when it cooks. Cook each burger 3 minutes on medium high on each side to yield a nice medium burger.
- Assemble the burgers. lightly butter and toast a whole wheat bun. Place burger on top of bottom bun. Place a slice of provolone and the still hot onion topping on top of the cheese. Take the spring mix and top the onion mixture. The finale is a generous spread of garlic cherry pepper spread on the top bun and rest it on the burger.
- 6. EAT THAT with something but