Irresistible Together: Sutter Home Merlot and Our Homemade Bread Recipe
Prep Time | Dough Prep: 12-18 Hours; Cook Time: 2 hours
Servings: 1 Loaf
Wine Varietal: Merlot
You like to fill your home with the best things: great memories, wonderful company, good food. Our recipe for homemade bread is sure to bring all of these home, as everyone flocks to the table to get a taste.
What’s so great about this home-baked loaf is that it’s filled with all kinds of ingredients and flavors, and that makes this bread perfect for dunking in our Sutter Home Merlot.
Pasta, beef, lamb, and chicken will all be complemented by this fresh-out-of-the-oven masterpiece.
Whichever meal you choose, our Merlot truly pairs best with good conversations. So, be sure to surround yourself with the ones you love while enjoying this satisfying, delicious recipe. Nothing says tradition like Sutter Home.
If you love recipes made with heart, you’ll also enjoy this Hearty Chili paired with our Sutter Home Red Blend: https://sutterhome.com/recipes/warm-sutter-homes-hearty-chili-red-blend-dinner-tonight/
Rustic and Zesty Orange Bread Ingredients:
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons rosemary sprigs, gently chopped
- 1⅓ cups water
- ¾ cup orange peel, chopped
Rustic and Zesty Orange Bread Directions:
- Combine the flour, yeast, salt, and rosemary in a large bowl. Add the water, and mix until blended. Add the chopped orange peel and mix until just combined. The dough will be ragged-looking and sticky.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm location to rise for at least 12 hours, preferably 18. The dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles.
- Generously coat a linen or cotton towel with flour. Using a large spoon or rubber spatula, fold the dough over itself a few times in the bowl, loosely shaping it into a ball, and then turn the dough out onto the floured towel. Sprinkle the top of the dough generously with flour and cover with another towel, and let rise for 2 more hours.
- At least 30 minutes before the dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6-8 quart heavy covered Dutch oven inside the oven as it heats.
- When the dough is ready, remove the pot from the oven and uncover the lid. Slide your hand under the towel and turn the dough over into the pot, and then gently shake the pot to distribute the dough evenly. (It will look like a wreck, but don’t worry.) Quickly cover the pot with the lid and put it back in the oven to bake for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and bake for another 15-30 minutes, until the loaf is a nice deep brown.
- When the bread is done, remove it from the pot and allow to cool on a rack.