Apple Pinwheels paired with Sutter Home White Zinfandel
Wine Varietal: White Zinfandel
1 puff pastry dough
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 apple, sliced
1 tablespoon coarse sugar, optional
1 tablespoon water
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon margarine or butter, softened
½ tsp vanilla
2-3 tbsp milk or half and half
- Preheat oven to 425°
- With a hand mixer, beat cream cheese, 2 tablespoons sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
- Cut apple into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Place in medium bowl and add lemon juice and 1 tsp sugar, toss to coat. Set aside
- Roll out pastry dough. If using homemade dough, roll to 8″ X 16″. If using store bought dough, use both sheets. Roll each out slightly larger than original size.
- Cut dough into 4″ squares using a pizza wheel or a sharp knife. Move each square to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place 1-2 teaspoons of cream cheese mixture in center of each square.
- Make slits on the corners of each square. Fold one corner of each triangle piece toward the center. Press down firmly. Repeat with remaining corners.
- Mix egg and water together in a bowl.
- Brush egg wash across entire surface of pastry. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Top with 3 apple slices.
- Bake in a preheated 425° oven for 15 minutes.
- In medium bowl, combine powdered sugar, margarine, vanilla, and half and half until smooth, adding enough milk for desired glaze consistency.
- Once pastries are cooked and cooled, drizzle over pinwheels.