Merry Movie, Snack & Wine Pairings to Bring Joy to All!
Nothing speaks to the holiday season quite like sitting down with the family, and whipping up a few fun and very merry homemade snacks while tuning in to the classic holiday movies you grew up with. Watching all of those charming, heartfelt, and occasionally very funny films with loved ones really brings everyone together during this joyous time of year.
Feeling inspired by modern-day classics and the timeless stories alike, we’ve compiled a few wonderful snack pairings that perfectly illustrate our love of holiday movies — along with our love of Sutter Home wines, too.
Find a Movie About Helping People.
Nothing lifts your spirits more than holiday films about helping those down on their luck, and nothing brings us greater joy than cheering them up while enjoying jolly holiday treats, and drinking merry Sutter Home Red Moscato.
We Love Holiday Movies About a Christmas Romance.
Any Christmas classic that includes dancing and songs about falling in love is as enjoyable as dreaming of a White Zinfandel Christmas with Sutter Home’s refreshingly sweet wine and these scrumptiously sweet holiday treats.
Who doesn’t love “A Christmas Carol”?
The “Christmas Carol” story is always fun because, as everyone knows by now, Scrooge becomes a generous soul. So celebrate watching his transformation while enjoying these Christmas treat recipes with all kinds of sweet trimmings. And when the kids are busy munching on these yummy stocking-stuffer-worthy treats, feel free to break out your favorite Sutter Home Wine, and toast one another while the whole family watches this warm-hearted tale about the power of Christmas spirits.
Brownie Santa Hats
What you will need:
• 1 Box Brownie Mix – or premade round brownies
• 2-3 Packages of Whole Strawberries
• Mini-Muffin Pan
• 1 Squeezable White Icing tube equipped with a decorative icing nozzle or piping bag.
1. Clean and hull strawberries
2. Slice a flat surface on the top/wide end of the strawberries
3. Place strawberries upside down and centered on the brownies
4. Take the white icing and trace line around the base of the strawberries, and add a dot on top for the puff.
What you will need:
• 1 bag of pretzel rods
• 20oz. white candy melts
• White, blue, and snowflake sprinkles
1. Place a generous amount of white candy melts in microwavable safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring often. Microwave until candy is melted. (Do not add more as you go, or the old ones will burn before the newly added candy melts.)
2. Lay out a baking sheet with wax paper on top to place dipped pretzel rods on.
3. Dip pretzel one at a time into melted candy until three-quarters of the pretzel rod is covered. You may have better luck using a spoon to apply the icing to the pretzel.
4. Lay covered pretzel on wax paper and apply sprinkles before the candy coding hardens.
5. After all pretzels are decorated, allow 45 minutes to cool before serving.
Popcorn Snow Balls
What you will need:
• 1 large bag of plain white unflavored popcorn (Avoid flavored popcorn like buttered or cheddar flavored.)
• 1 Bag of Mini-marshmallows
• Vanilla Extract
• Blue and white candy coated chocolate
• Blue and White Sprinkles
• Wax Paper
• Coconut oil (optional)
1. In a small saucepan, stir 5 c. mini-marshmallows and 4 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Stir until marshmallows are melted, then remove from heat.
2. Add ¼ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. vanilla extract.
3. Pour marshmallow mixture over popcorn evenly, add 1 c. candy coated chocolate and colored sprinkles.
4. Wash your hands, and coat them with a light layer of butter or coconut oil.
5. Using the popcorn mixture, shape 3” balls and place on wax paper.
6. Allow 30 minutes to cool before serving.
If you like celebrating Christmas like this, be sure to check out our other ways of enjoying the holidays, starting with these delicious dishes with a splash of Sutter Home wine.