Build a Better Burger Contest Winners – 1991
To promote the 1991 contest, cookbook author and head judge James McNair was asked to edit the prizewinning recipes from the first cook-off, prepare and photograph them, and design a brochure for distribution in grocery stores throughout the participating states. To create the building theme, James commissioned an architectural blueprint of a burger for the brochure cover, positioned grilling tools in a carpenter’s box, and used various raw woods as backgrounds of the prizewinning to further emphasize the construction theme.
Festive red, white, and blue balloons and red-checkered tablecloths decorated the grounds of Sutter Home, where contestants and guests enjoyed a festive party along with the cook-off. The Judges quickly narrowed in on the lamb burgers grilled by Rob Chirico and served in warm pita pockets with a fresh herb sauce.
Entries were screened and twelve regional finalists were chosen by The Gold Group agency in Santa Monica, California.
Diana Schwam of The Gold Group
- Grand Prize: Robert Chirico, Greenfield , Massachusetts – Lamburgers à la Grecque with Cilantro-Mint Chutney
- First Prize: Debbie Russell, Colorado Springs, Colorado – Hazelnut-Crusted Lamb Burgers
- Second Prize: Caryl Welsh, Clarksville, Maryland – Italian Burgers with Confetti Salsa
- Third Prize: Dr . Helen Conwell, Fairhope, Alabama – Calypso Burgers
- Award for Creativity: Theodore Skiba, Tequesta, Florida – Three-Nut Turkey Burgers with Tropical Fruit Salsa
- Karen Davis, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma – Tea-Smoked Ginger Sesame Burgers
- Monty Degenhardt, Indianapolis, Indiana – Tuna, Mint, and Wheatberry Burgers with Three-Citrus Salsa
- Margie Godwin, Greensboro, North Carolina – Stir-Fry Topped Burgers
- Janet Hill, Sacramento, California – Golden Salmon Burgers
- Carol Ann Islam, Corvallis, Oregon – Oriental Shrimp Burgers with Mushroom Relish Sauté
- Judith Mettlin, Snyder, New York – Hunan Chicken Burgers
- Julie Winter, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan – Third Coast Grilled Veal Burgers
James McNair, Cookbook author, Head Judge