Wine to Fit Your Salad Days
So you’re at the market and determined to keep things healthy. “Stick with the fresh salad plan,” you think as you try not to ogle the fresh cheese and sausage. (Oh yes, I know what that’s like) Bathing suit season is here, and you would like to be prepared. You don’t even look at the fresh bread and instead scamper over to find the green ingredients of a spectacular summer salad.
Great work! It can’t be that hard to switch around your options, right? In fact, here’s an idea. Instead of whatever main dish you’re thinking about whipping up at your next summer lunch or dinner soiree, try serving salad. (And I’m not talking about just any salad!) A fabulous main course salad will do, AND it will have all your girlfriends talking.
Yes, it’s true! A yummy Greek or Thai salad can be every bit as fun and satisfying as any of the more traditional main courses. And of course they’re healthy and light and all that good stuff.
Alas, salads are not perfect. Here’s the challenge: some wines may clash with the acidity of many salad dressings, especially vinegar based ones.
So listen up, ‘cause we’ve got what it takes to make your guests’ tummies and your own leave feeling deliciously satisfied.
– For a vinaigrette dressing, our Chenin Blanc is a perfect pairing (Would I lie to you?).
– Salty ingredients like olives, anchovies, capers, chopped nuts or a strong cheese make any salad a little more neutral and a better wine complement (and, of course, infinitely more delicious).
– Caesar salad, you say? Sutter Home’s Pinot Grigio + Caesar = perfection.
– A nice, food friendly wine like Sutter Home’s Chardonnay makes a good pairing with the meats and cheeses of a Cobb salad.
– Greek salad, with its sharp flavors, calls for an assertive wine such as Sutter Home’s Sauvignon Blanc.
(With all of this salad talk, I’m starting to get hungry!)
But, I digress.. now that you’ve got the helpful hints you need to keep your body healthy and happy, you can join that gym that you’ve been eyeing for the past month, or try out that new bikini you’ve been on the lookout for..all without compromising your taste buds!
Now, to end this little rant, here’s the main ingredient to happiness: a bottle of Sutter Home wine (and some salad mixtures too!)
P.S. I would love to hear about your salad summers in the comment box below. How do you satisfy your summer appetite?
- Thumbnail Credit: