Sutter Home Kitchen Series: Southern Style Pork Sammies
When there’s a wintry chill in the air, nothing warms the tummy and soul like our Sutter Home Kitchen Series southern style Pork Sammies. This recipe is a holiday feast in itself with all kinds of trimmings that every one will love sinking their smiles into. Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas!
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 3 -to-4-pound lean boneless pork shoulder, trim excess fat
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 potato buns
- A variety of mild to hot & spicy Barbecue sauce – so all your guests have a choice of what they love
- Classic Coleslaw, or Cranberries, or Sweet Pickles
- Combine 1 tablespoon brown sugar, the paprika, mustard powder, cumin, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the pork.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet; add the pork and cook, turning, until browned all around – about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pork and transfer to a plate; whisk 3/4 cup water into the drippings in the skillet. Transfer the liquid to a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker.
- Add vinegar, tomato paste, the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar along with 2 cups of water to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Add the pork, cover and cook on low, 8 hours.
- Remove the pork and transfer to a cutting board.
- Strain liquid into saucepan, bring to boil, cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- Roughly chop the pork and mix in a bowl with 1 cup of the reduced cooking liquid, and salt and vinegar to taste.
- Serve on buns with barbecue sauce and top with coleslaw, cranberries, or sweet pickles.
You can also create a smorgasbord of other Pork Sammie toppings and/or sides that family and friends can mix and match from. Try sweet potato fries, corn on the cob, baked potatoes, baked beans, green beans, brussel sprouts, bacon bits, relish, shredded cheese, chopped onions, onion rings, and pears all go great with these delicious Pork Sammies.
Wine Pairings for our Sutter Home Kitchen Series Pork Sammies Recipe:
Sutter Home Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Cabernet Sauvignon, or our Zinfandel.
If you love this recipe, you’ll also enjoy this one from our Sutter Home Kitchen Series. https://www.sutterhome.com/wine-and-life-blog/sutter-home-kitchen-series/lamb-sliders-with-red-pepper-jam-&-feta-nothing-little#.WFQIa1UrJaR