Pesto Pasta Salad
When we say Happiness is Homemade with Sutter Home, along with Cyd Converse and her delightful variety of easy-to-prepare party appetizers and wine cocktails, there’s still so much more to share. Like this glorious Pesto Pasta Salad and desserts galore. (More about the desserts later.) What’s great about having a Pesto Pasta Salad recipe like this be part of your menu is the simple fact that it tastes just as delicious warm or cold. So it can easily be enjoyed all throughout the party, no matter when the party ends. You can also never make too much of it, since it tastes great the next day as leftovers. Pesto Pasta Salad is also a great recipe to refresh your palate between wine choices. If you’re looking for a tasty way to satisfy everyone’s hunger over and over and over again, this Pesto Pasta Salad from Cyd Converse is a sure thing.
HOMEMADE PESTO PASTA SALAD
- 1 pound cavatappi pasta
- 3 red bell peppers
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
For the Pasta –
- Cook cavatappi pasta in seasoned, boiling water until just al dente.
- Drain and rinse in cool water to stop the cooking.
For the Pesto –
- Combine basil, parmesan, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive, and pine nuts in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse on high until smooth. Add more olive oil as necessary to achieve a smooth, even consistency.
For the Roasted Red Peppers –
- Place red peppers on a grill over medium-high heat, close the lid.
- Cook for 10 – 15 minutes, rotating often until the sides char slightly.
- Remove from heat and place red peppers in a heat-safe bowl then cover.
- Allow them to sit for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Being careful of the steam, remove the cover and carefully pull the skins off of the red peppers.
- Then slice them, remove the seeds and insides and rinse well.
- Cut roasted peppers into 1/2” size chunks.
To Assemble –
- Transfer cooked pasta to a large mixing bowl.
- Add pesto and roasted red peppers, and toss well to combine.
- Season with additional sea salt and/or black pepper as necessary.