Build a Better Burger Tips: Patty Prep
Ever heard that preparation is key? Well, when your goal is to build a better burger, that same advice holds true. Here are a few tips to incorporate in your quest to create the perfect patty!
- Use high-quality meat. If you go the traditional beef route, choose a nice ground chuck with at least 18-20% fat content.
- For alternative proteins like turkey or salmon, incorporate seasoned breadcrumbs or an egg into your ground meat to help retain shape and moisture.
- Handle the meat as little as possible. Use a cold spoon to stir ingredients, and when forming patties, minimize your contact with the meat.
- Sprinkle dry seasonings on the outside of the meat once you’ve formed your patties. The caramelization of your seasoning blend will aid in the forming of an exterior crust that will lock in flavor and juice.
- Keep patties cold prior to grilling. Return them to the refrigerator while you wait for the grill to heat up.
- Just before grilling, use your thumb to create a dimple in the center of the patty. This will help stop the burger from balling up when exposed to the high heat of the grill.