Wine Varietal: Pinot Grigio
1 Cup Mayonnaise
2 teaspoons crushed Red Pepper
2 teaspoons freshly ground Black Pepper
1 clove Garlic (pressed)
1 Daikon radish (thinly sliced)
2 Carrots (thinly sliced)
3 Jalapenos (thinly sliced)
1 Cucumber (thinly sliced)
1 bunch Cilantro
6 fresh French, Ciabbatta or similar rolls
1.5 pounds Ground Round Beef (85-15%)
0.5 pounds Ground Pork
1 cup Green Onions (chopped)
1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 tablespoon Onion Powder
1 tablespoon Ginger Powder
2 teaspoons Black Pepper (freshly ground)
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Fish Sauce
6 tablespoons Sesame Seeds (lightly toasted)
1 cup Sesame Oil
1) Preheat grill to a medium-high heat.
2) To make Garlic-Pepper Aioli, combine mayonnaise, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and pressed garlic in small bowl. Cover and set aside to allow the flavors to meld.
3) To prepare burger toppings, use a mandolin or vegetable peeler to cut the daikon and carrots very thinly lengthwise. Then, using a very sharp knife, hollow out the jalapenos of the ribs and seeds then thinly slice the jalapenos and cucumber across the diameter.
4) Lightly toast sesame seeds by placing on tin foil then placing on preheated grill for approximately 3-4 minutes. Shake occasionally. Remove the seeds when they are golden brown.
5) To make the patties, mix beef, pork, green onions, garlic powder, onion powder, ginger powder, black pepper, soy sauce, and fish sauce together in a large bowl. Then form 6 patties with the mixture. Avoid overworking the mixture or packing the patties too densely. Finally, roll the edges of each burger in sesame seeds.
6) To cook patties, first brush the burgers with a very light coating of sesame oil. Then grill burgers with a covered lid for approximately 6-7 minutes, only turning once, until they are cooked to a medium rare temperature or other desired level of doneness.
7) To assemble burgers, slice rolls and hollow out the tops for the burgers to hold the toppings more easily. Then place a patty on a bottom roll half, top with slices of daikon, cucumber, carrots, jalapeno, garlic-pepper aioli, and a decent helping of cilantro leaves. Then top with other half of roll.