Wine Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon
The first thing that pops into mind when you think of Philadelphia and food is cheesesteaks! Why not create a gourmet spin on an already great sandwich?! I have combined the necessities that make all cheesesteaks wonderful in a burger form. I hope this makes you hungry 🙂
3lbs. Ground Sirloin (Formed into 8oz Patties)
1lb. Cheese Wiz
6 Italian Hoagie Rolls
Garlicky Hot Pepper Jelly:
1 Â½ lbs. Red Bell Peppers
2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
4 cloves Garlic
3 Â¼ c. Sugar
1c. White Wine Vinegar
Â¾ tsp salt
8 lg. Shallots (thinly sliced using a mandolin)
2c. All Purpose Flour
Oil for frying
1. In a food processor pulse together the peppers, pepper flakes and garlic.
2. Whisk together pectin and 1/4 cup sugar in a small stainless bowl.
3. In a large stock pot mix together the pepper/garlic mixture, the remaining sugar, salt and vinegar. Bring to a boil.
4. Slowly begin adding the pectin, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Remove mixture from heat.
5. To speed up the jelly making process: Place jelly mixture in smaller containers. Submerge the containers into an ice water bath and place the entire set up in the freezer. The mixture will set within 1 hour.
Cheese Wiz Preparation:
1. Place cheese wiz in a pot and cook on low until product is loose and slightly bubbly. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
1. Preheat fryer to 350
2. Soak thinly sliced shallots in buttermilk (you can season with salt and pepper).
3. Drudge shallot sliced through flour and fry until slightly brown. Set aside to drain on a paper towel.
1. Season burger patties with salt and pepper and grill until desired doneness.
2. Form a slit in the hoagie rolls being careful not to cut all the way through (form a large pocket).
3. Cut each burger patty in half and place each half cut side down on the hoagie.
4. Spoon over the patties the cheese wiz, place a few dabs of the pepper jelly and top with the fried shallot. Serve immediately.