Servings: Makes 12 sliders, for 6 servings
Wine Varietal: Zinfandel
Sriracha Grapefruit Mayo
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise made with olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh grapefruit zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons sriracha chile sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ponzu citrus seasoned soy sauce
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1/4 cup ponzu citrus seasoned soy sauce
- 1/3 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon roasted ground ginger
Ponzu Jicama Slaw
- 2/3 cup julienned orange bell pepper
- 2/3 cup julienned carrot
- 2/3 cup julienned jicama
- 1/2 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons Nakano Balsamic Blend Seasoned Rice Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ponzu citrus seasoned soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha chile sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
- 1/2 cup ponzu citrus seasoned soy sauce, for basting
- 12 mini burger buns or small soft dinner rolls
To make the mayo, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix together. Cover and refrigerate until assembling the burgers.
To make patties, combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and, using your hands, shape into patties about 3 1/2-inches wide. Cover and refrigerate until ready to grill.
To make the slaw, combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix together. Cover and set aside.
Heat a gas grill to medium-high. When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with the vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 3 to 5 minutes on each side. During the last few minutes of cooking, baste the patties equally with the soy sauce and place the buns, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
To assemble the sliders, spread the cut sides of the buns with equal portions of the mayo. On each bun bottom, place a patty and equal portions of the slaw. Add the bun tops and serve.