RECIPES: Recipe Details
Beef, bacon, cheese and a Bar-B-Q sauce are the classic components of a Texas burger. Add in a few additional ingredients and the Zinful Burger represents the great classic flavors in harmony with a touch of the cosmopolitan.
1# Dry Ice in Chest for chilling Butter
10 TBS Butter (4 TBS Very Chilled)
1 Cup of Barbecue Sauce (KC Masterpiece Classic Blend)
Â¼ Cup Clover Honey
3 tsp of Fresh Ground Nutmeg
2 Large Yellow Onions
1/3 Cup of Sutter Home White Zinfandel
2 1/4 Tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
2 Large Eggs
3 lb Ground Beef (80/20)
Oil for Grill Grate
6 Sourdough Rolls
12 Slices of Thick Cut Peppered Bacon
6 Slices (1 oz ea) of Swiss Cheese
6 Slices (1 oz ea) of Medium Cheddar Cheese
1) Place dry ice into cooler chest and place 4 TBS of butter in chest to chill.
2) Preheat the gas grill to medium high
3) Mix the barbecue sauce, clover honey and 1 Â½ tsp or the ground Nutmeg together in a medium pan on the grill and heat. Once heated, let simmer for about 5 minutes and set aside.
4) Melt 3 TBS of butter in a medium size cast iron pan.
5) Cut Onions to allow for a "general ring" shape abut a Â¼" wide. Place in the cast iron pan on the grill with the butter and sautÃ© until lightly browned. Remove from pan and cover and set aside.
6) Combine the remaining butter from sautÃ©ing the onions with the remaining 3 TBS of butter that is not chilled, melt and set aside in warm place for later use.
1) Cut the 4 TBS of very chilled Butter into approximately 1/8" cubes and place back into the chiller.
2) In a large bowl mix together wine, salt, pepper, 2 eggs and remaining Nutmeg.
3) Next, thoroughly mix in the ground beef, then separate the cubes of chilled butter and mix into the meat mixture.
4) Separate the meat mixture into 6 equal portions and lightly form each into a patty of a diameter about the same as the rolls.
1) Apply oil to the grill grate.
2) Cut the Sourdough rolls in half and set aside for toasting later.
3) Place the bacon on the grill and start grilling until near crispy. Note that you must keep close watch on the bacon and turn often. When it is near complete, move to a top rack or out of direct heat to ensure it stays warm but does not overcook or burn.
4) Place meat patties on the grill over medium high heat and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully turn and cook the second side for approximately another 3 to 5 minutes depending on the temperature of the grill. Remember not to press down on the burgers.
4) When the burgers are flipped to the second side, place the Sourdough rolls, cut side down, on the grill, lightly toast and remove from the grill and lightly spray or brush with the butter mixture that was set aside earlier.
5) About half way through grilling the second side, generously brush the top of each burger with the barbecue sauce mix. A minute or so prior to removing burgers from the grill, place a slice of Swiss cheese then a slice of Cheddar cheese on top of the Swiss cheese.
6) Place 2 pieces of bacon (in an X pattern) on top of the cheese on each burger.
7) Remove burgers from the grill and place directly on the bottom half of the toasted roll. Top the burgers cheese and bacon with equal portions of the sautÃ©ed onions. Top all of that with the top half of the toasted roll completing the burger assembly.
7) Slice as desired and serve immediately. Enjoy.
Not all food from Texas comes out of the back of a chuck wagon, and believe me, we are becoming a Mecca for fine dining, gourmet restaurants and international foods and we have access to the finest ingredients. I strive to use the best and freshest ingredients I can find in my cooking. While my everyday style is geared toward healthful, I occasionally break away and put together something that the "Calorie Police" are on the watch for. To that end, I created what I call my Zinful Burger that is topped with my honey Bar B Q sauce.
This is a burger that is simple to make and adds something extra in the way of flavor and complexity that is unexpected. It has a unique flavor and when paired with a Sutter Home white Zinfandel, it is sure to please your guests.