RECIPES: Recipe Details
Who Mooooooved My Cheesesteak Burger
I was reading the book Who Moved My Cheese for work and I grew up on Cheesesteaks in New Jersey at the Jersey Shore, thus the birth of the "Who-Mooooved-My- Cheesesteak-Burger!!!" This burger has a couple of steps; I hope you can follow them, as I have tried on numerous occassions to write this clearly... (I need to thank my wife for helping me with the edits here)
2 med. eggs
3/4 cup regular bread crumbs
2 tsp salt (divided)
2 tsp black pepper (divided)
1 1/4 lbs. Ground Beef (80% Lean)
1/2 cup Sutter Home Merlot
3 tsp salted butter
6 cloves garlic (divided & finely chopped)
1/4 of a small vidalia onion (diced into small pieces)
1/4 of a small green pepper (seeded, diced into small pieces)
1/4 of a small red pepper (seeded, diced into small pieces)
3 Basil Leaves (finely chopped)
1/2 lb. Italian Beef (shaved)
1/4 lb. Pepper Jack Cheese (shaved)
1/4 lb. Mild Cheddar Cheese (shaved)
6 slices of Provolone Cheese
6 Kaiser Rolls (unseeded and cut in half)
1. In a bowl add the eggs, bread crumbs, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, the 1 1/4 lbs. of ground beef, and the 1/2 cup of Sutter Home Merlot. Mix together thoroughly. Form into six-1-inch-thick burgers. Cover and set aside till ready for grilling.
2. In a small saute pan add the 3 tsp butter, the remaining tsp of salt & pepper, 3 cloves of the finely chopped garlic, the vidalia onion, the green & red peppers, and place on the grill off to the side and saute on low heat. This should not be in the center of the grill as to not burn the butter. Saute this mixture till the peppers & onion have softened. Usually 5-6 minutes on low heat.
3. After the peppers & onion have softened, add the chopped basil leaves & the shaved Italian Beef. Mix this together with the peppers & onion mixture and saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring and mixing it often. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
4. In a small sauce pan, add the shaved 1/4 lbs. of pepper jack & cheddar cheese and the remaining 3 cloves of chopped garlic. Place the sauce pan on low heat and let the cheese melt. Remove from heat when the cheese has melted, cover, and set aside.
5. Place the burgers on the grill at medium heat (where you can hold your hand 1 to 2 inches above the cooking grate for only 3-4 seconds). Grill the burgers, turning once until browned on both sides and cooked through. 10 - 12 minutes total. Use a meat thermometer to test the internal burger temperature, to have the burgers cooked to medium.
6. Using a tablespoon take 1 tsp of the Italian Beef & pepper mixture and place it directly on each of the burgers. You can pat the mixture down flat with the tablespoon or a spatula. Place a slice of Provolone cheese on top of each burger and grill it until the Provolone cheese has melted.
7. Split the rolls and place them on a serving platter. Place the cooked burgers with the Italian Beef & pepper mixture and melted Provolone on one side of the split rolls.
7. On the other half of the roll, take the melted cheese mixture and put 2 tsp of the sauce on the roll. Then cover the burgers, cut in half, serve.
8. And enjoy!!!
I am hungry just typing this!!! I think this is a real winner, I hope you do as well...