RECIPES: Recipe Details
T.O.P.P. (Teriyaki, Onion, Portabello, Provolone) Burger
This burger takes elements and flavors of all of the places that my husband & I have lived. Thick sliced bacon from Iowa, teriyaki marinade from the Pacific Northwest & provolone cheese from Wisconsin. It is one of our personal favorites and we hope you enjoy it as well. Thank you.
2 & 1/4 cups ground beef (85-90% lean)
7 tsps worcestershire sauce
4&1/2 tsps garlic powder
4&1/2 tsps dried minced onion
1&1/2 tsps dried oregano flakes
1&1/2 tsps McCormicks Grill Mates hamburger seasoning (or comparable brand)
6 slices hickory smoked thick sliced bacon (each slice cut into thirds)
2 medium size sweet yellow onions, sliced thin
2 tablespoonsful butter (sweet cream, unsalted)
3 tablespoonsful brown sugar
18 portabello mushroom cap slices
1 tablespoonful butter
8 tablespoonsful Teriyaki, roasted garlic marinade (Lawry's 30 minute marinade or comparable brand)
1/4 cup white zinfandel wine
6 slices of provolone cheese
4 tsps butter
2 tsps minced garlic
6 Kaiser rolls
1 slice beefsteak tomato each patty
1. Mix together ground beef, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, minced onion, oregano & hamburger seasoning. Form into 6 equal patties about 1/2-3/4 inch thick.
2. Place bacon in a piece of aluminum foil & form pocket to enclose the bacon. Make a small slit in the bottom of the foil pocket. Place on grill over medium/high heat until browned & crisp (approximately 20-30 minutes). Remove from heat when done.
3. In a small saute pan over medium heat on the grill, place onions, butter & brown sugar. Saute onions until opaque and then about 5 minute more to carmelize (about 10 minutes total). Remove from heat when done.
4. Remove onions from pan, leaving butter/ brown sugar mixture in pan.
5. Place mushroom caps & 1 tablespoon butter in the same saute pan (in the brown sugar mixture) over medium heat. Cook for 3 minutes then add wine. Cook for another 3 minutes & then add teriyaki marinade. Cook for another 4 minutes then remove from heat. Remove from pan & drizzle marinade mixture from pan over the mushroom caps.
6. Place burger patties on grill. Cook over medium/high heat for approximately 4-5 minutes on each side.
7. After burger is cooked, place 1 slice cheese on each patty. Cook for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
8. Mix together butter & minced garlic for rolls.
9. Slice each roll in half & equally butter each half.
10. Place on the upper rack of the grill over medium heat(or over low heat on the lower rack) with the buttered side down. Grill about 5 minutes until golden brown.
11. Assemble burger with roll, patty, cheese, onions, mushrooms and bacon.
12. Add tomato slice to the assembled patty if desired.
We enjoy it just as this or with a slice of tomato from the garden on top of the patty, so we added that as an option. It is great both ways. THANK YOU for you time.