RECIPES: Recipe Details
"Toasted" Pork Burger
2 lbs Lean Pork chops, 1 inch thick and boneless
2 Tsp Kosher Salt
3 Cloves of Garlic, smashed
1 Tbs Dried Thyme
2 Tsp Dried Rosemary, bruised
1 Dried Bay Leaf
1 Large White Onion, peeled and quartered
1 Bottle of Brut Champaign (25 oz.)
1 Chicken Egg, lightly beaten
2 Quarts Boiling Water
2 Quarts Cold Water
1 lbs Ice
6 Red Cabbage Leaves
3 Hass Avocados
3 Limes, juiced
6 Ciabatta buns
3 Tbs Düsseldorf Mustard
1) Trim off any large strips of fat off of the Pork Chops. Rub the Kosher Salt onto both sides of the Pork Chops. Place the Pork Chops in a Large Glass Bowl. Put the garlic, Thyme, Rosemary, Bay Leaf, and Onion in the same bowl. Pour the Champaign over the Pork Chops until covered. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a cool place (refrigerator or iced cooler) for 1 hour.
2) While the Pork Chops are marinating, blanch the Red Cabbage leaves using a Pot and 2 quarts of boiling water. Quickly chill the Red Cabbage in 2 quarts of cold water and ice in a Large Glass or Metal Bowl. Once chilled, remove from the water, pat dry with paper towels and set in a cool place.
3) Remove the Pork Chops from the bowl and pat dry with Paper Towel Sheets. Cut the Pork Chops into 2 inch chunks. Placing a few of the chunks in at a time into a Food Processor, pulse until the Pork looks ground but feels like tiny cubes when run through the fingers (Food Processors vary in performance, test by pulsing for 1 second at a time until the desired consistency is reached). Place the Pork into the Large Metal Bowl and mix with the Egg. Form into 6 patties, ½ inch thick each.
4) Place the Patties over High heat on a clean and oiled grill. Once the sides of the Patties change color it is time to flip (app. 3-6 min.). Cook until Patties are firm to the touch but yield under pressure (app. 3-6 min.). Set aside to rest.
5) While the Patties are resting, toast the Ciabatta buns (cut in half) on the grill, and cut the Avocados in half and slice each half into 4 slices and place in a Medium Glass Bowl with the Lime Juice. Toss to evenly coat then drain the extra juice.
6) To build the burger, place a Red Cabbage Leaf on the bottom slice of the bun. Next, place 4 slices of Avocado on the Red Cabbage so that they slightly overlap. The rested patty comes next. Spread 1 ½ tsp of the Düsseldorf Mustard on the top half of the bun and place on the meat.