RECIPES: Recipe Details
The Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Burger
This burger, The Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Burger, relates back to my Hungarian-Polish heritage and my childhood in South Bend, Indiana. A "comfort food" of years ago is being transformed into a tasty, quick and hearty burger that brings back memories and potentially will create new ones for those being introduced to this favorite in burger form.
1 1/2 pounds beef
2 Original Johnsonville Brats--casings removed
1/2 cup cooked long grain white rice
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons Lea & Perrins Worchestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Weber Roasted Garlic & Herb seasoning
1-8 ounce can shredded sauerkraut
1-15 ounce can tomato sauce
1/4 cup Sutter Home Chardonnay wine
6 Kaiser rolls--split
Colavita olive oil
1) Prepare a medium hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or pre-heat a gas grill to medium-high.
2) Mix together all patty ingredients and form into six patties. Set aside.
3) Mix together all sauce ingredients in grill safe bowl. Set aside.
4) Brush cut side of rolls lightly with olive oil.
1) When grill is ready, brush patty grilling surface with the Colavita olive oil.
2) Put grill safe bowl with sauce mixture on opposite side of grill to heat while patties are cooking.
3) Place prepared patties on grill rack. Cover and cook turning once until desired preference. Cook 5-7 minutes on each side for medium doneness.
4) Brush rolls with the Colavita olive oil. Place rolls cut side down on sauce side of the grill to brown lightly during final 2 minutes of grilling.
1) Place one patty on bottom of each bun.
2) Top each patty with tomato sauce/sauerkraut mixture and bun top.