RECIPES: Recipe Details
The Greased Lightening Burger
Love most things greek, and my daughter loves the movie & the soundtrack to Grease... So I decided to bring these two things together on a bun!!!
6 oz crumbled Feta Cheese
2 Tsp Mint Leaves (minced)
2 Tsp fresh Oregano (minced)
2 Tsp fresh Rosemary (minced)
1 Tbsp. ground black pepper, (divided)
1 tbsp grated Lemon Zest
1/2 cup Sutter Home Zinfandel
1.25 lbs. ground lamb
1/2 cup kalamata olives (pitted & chopped)
1 tbsp fresh dill (chopped fine)
1 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped fine)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 Tsp Sugar (white granulated)
4 tbsp olive oil, (divided)
6 Kaiser rolls, (unseeded)
1 large tomato (sliced)
1/2 med. red onion, (thinly sliced)
6 leaves of butter lettuce
1. In a bowl, combine the Feta Cheese, mint leaves, oregano and rosemary, 1/2 Tbsp. black pepper, the lemon zest & 1/2 cup Sutter Home Zinfandel. After fully mixed, add the 1.25 lbs of ground lamb and mix gently. Form into 6 inch Burger patties.
2. In a blender mix Kalamata olives,dill, parsley, lemon juice, sugar, and the remaining 1/4 tbsp black pepper. Add 3 tbsp olive, 1 tbsp at a time to make a smooth paste. Spoon out into a bowl, cover and set aside.
3. Heat a grill to medium hot (where you can hold your hand 1 to 2 inches above cooking grate only 3 -4 seconds). Grill the burgers, turning once until browned on both sides and cooked thru. 10 to 12 minutes total. Use a meat thermometer to test internal burger temperature. we are looking for a medium burger.
4. Split Kaiser rolls and toast cut sides on the grill. Brush toasted sides with the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and spread each with about 1 tsp of the olive spread that we had set aside.
5. Top the burgers with the sliced tomato, red onion and butter lettuce leaves.
6. Slice burgers in half and serve.
This burger has given me a love of Feta Cheese. I could never eat it in the past, my wife challenged me to create a burger with an ingredient I could never eat! So, here it is...