RECIPES: Recipe Details
The Big Easy Burger
For the olive spread:
1/2 cup pimento stuffed green olives
1/2 cup pitted good quality black olives
1/2 cup roasted red peppers
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 small stack celery, finely minced
1 carrot, finely mined
4-5 pepperoncini, finely diced
2 T capers
1 T minced oregano leaves
1/4 cup finely minced red onion
1/24 cup red wine vineger
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the burgers:
1 slice white bread
2 T milk
2 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 pound smoke andouille sausage, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 T finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 t minced fresh thyme
1 t cayenne pepper
1 T smoked paprika
1 t salt
1 t black pepper
6 ciabatta rolls or other "dense" rustic bread roll
1} finely dice all of the ingredients for the olive spread and marinate in the red wine vinegar and olive oil. Set aside
2) break the bread into small cubes and soak in the milk
3) add the ground beef, andouille, garlic, onion and spices to the bread mix and gently combine. Do not over work the burger mixture or it will tend to get tough.
4) Form the mixture into 6 patties and place on a hot grill for four minutes. Flip.
5) Use an instant read thermometer and remove the burgers from the grill when the internal temperature reaches 155 F. Cover with foil. the temperature will continue to rise to about 160.
6. Remove some of the inside of the rolls to make a well and fill with the olive salad. Top with a burger.
This recipe takes cajun spices, andouille sausage and the classic New Orleans "muffaletta" olive spread to create a great and unusual burger.