RECIPES: Recipe Details
That'sa Big'a Meatball! Hamburger Salsiccia with Sundried Tomato Aioli
Simple is better! These patties will be juicy and perfectly flavored with minimal effort.
2- 4 oz. Italian Sausage Links
1 1/2 lb. Ground Chuck (80/20 beef)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper, divided
2 Anchovies Packed in Oil
2 Sun Dried Tomato Halves Packed in Olive Oil
3 Canned Artichoke Hearts, drained well
1/4 cup Mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
1 Loaf French bread
1 clove of garlic, peeled
Leaf Lettuce, washed and dried thoroughly
To Prepare Patties:
1. Use a sharp knife to remove the casings from the sausage links, discard. Place sausages in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 15-20 times to achieve a finely ground texture. Avoid over processing as the meat will become pasty.
2. In a large bowl, combine processed sausage, beef, salt and 1/2 tsp. of the black pepper with your hands or a wooden spoon just until mixed. Shape into six 3/4â€ thick patties.
To Prepare Aioli:
1. Thoroughly clean food processor bowl to remove all meat residue or prepare and refrigerate Aioli up to three days prior to serving.
2. Place whole anchovies, Sun Dried Tomato Halves, drained Artichoke Hearts, the other 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper, and Mayonnaise into the food processor bowl.
3. Pulse 2 times, and then scrape mixture back into the base of the bowl. Pulse 3 more times, scraping as needed, until the mixture resembles coarse mustard.
4. Place aioli in small bowl, cover, and refrigerate until needed.
Cooking and Serving:
1. Preheat grill on medium-high.
2. While the grill warms, slice the French bread on the diagonal into 12 pieces. Each slice should be approximately 5 inches in diameter.
3. Place the meat on the grill.
4. At the same time, place the bread pieces on the bread warming rack of the grill or alternately, on the cooler edges of the grill surface to toast it. The bread will require frequent monitoring depending on the configuration of your grill. The goal is to have both sides toasted to a golden brown.
5. After 4 minutes, flip the patties.
6. Cook patties for 6 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 155Âº F. Avoid the temptation to flip the patties. Once is enough!
7. Place patties on serving platter, cover will foil and rest for five minutes to allow patty centers to reach a safe serving temperature.
8. While patties rest, rub the garlic clove over one side of the toasted bread pieces. Then, cover each of the sides with dry lettuce leaves to assure bread will remain crisp.
9. Spread 1 tbsp. of the Aioli on top of the lettuce on six of the bread pieces.
10. Place a warm patty on each of the six aioli topped pieces and cover with the companion slice of bread with lettuce.
11. Pour a generous glass of your favorite Sutter Home wine and enjoy your savory burger!
Sutter Home White Zinfandel is my lifeline during the long, hot Oklahoma summer!