RECIPES: Recipe Details
Thanksgiving Turkey Burger
This burger brings together the flavors of Thanksgiving dinner. At anytime when you are craving the flavors of stuffing and turkey, this burger can satisfy those craving without the hassles and time commitment of preparing the turkey and all of the trimmings.
2 1/2 cups Craisins, divided
3/4 cup Mayonnaise
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced green bell pepper
1/2 cup diced celery
2 1/2 pounds ground turkey
2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
1 tablespoons ground sage
1 tablespoon ground savory
1 3/4 cups Craisins (remaining from above)
Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
6 onion rolls, split
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
12 butter lettuce leaves
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium high.
2. Place the Craisins in a food processor. Grind until finely chopped.
3. Combine the mayonnaise and 3/4 cup of the chopped Craisins in a small bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
4. When the grill is ready, place a 12-inch fire proof skillet on the grill rack. Add the butter and heat. When the butter is melted, add the onions, bell peppers and celery. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are soft, but not mushy; stirring occasionally.
5. To prepare patties, combine the turkey, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper sage, savory, remaining chopped Craisins, and onion mixture in a large mixing bowl. With your hands or a large spoon, gently mix well, handling the meat as little as possible to prevent compacting it. Form six equal-sized patties.
6. Remove skillet from grill. When the grill is ready, coat rack with vegetable oil. Place patties on rack and cover. Cook for 7 minutes then turn and grill until and instant read thermometer reads 180 degrees Fahrenheit, about 7 minutes longer.
7. During the last 2 minutes of grilling the patties, lightly brush the cut side of the rolls with extra virgin olive oil. Place the rolls, cut side down on the grill rack to toast lightly.
8. To assemble the burgers, spread the mayonnaise mixture on the insides of the toasted roll. Layer the bottom bun with 2 butter lettuce leaves, the patty, and divided red onion slices. Top with roll top. Makes 6 burgers.