RECIPES: Recipe Details
Sweet Glazed Maui Burgers with Balsamic Grilled Pineapple and Island Pesto
This Hawaiian inspired burger is guaranteed to be a huge hit among your grilling guests. Honey, pineapples and a touch of soy sauce are a perfect glaze while the burgers are being grilled to perfection. Fresh ginger, cilantro and green onions are just a few of the ingredients that help make these patties so juicy and flavorful. An island pesto is spread over warm toasted rolls to bring a taste of the tropics to your home. Balsamic grilled pineapples, crisp bacon strips and butter lettuce leaves are the perfect toppings for these burgers. Dig in and Enjoy a taste of the islands!
1/2 Cup fresh crushed pineapple (pulsed in food processor until nearly smooth)
1 Tablespoon plus 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce, divided
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Cup fresh cilantro chopped divided
1 Cup green onion chopped (white and green parts), divided
1/4 Cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 Tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon plus 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, minced, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 Cup Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 1/2 lbs Angus ground beef
1/2 Cup remaining green onion, finely chopped
1/2 Cup remaining fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon remaining fresh ginger, minced
2 Tablespoons remaining soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 cloves remaining garlic, minced
Vegetable oil for grill rack
6 slices fresh pineapple rings
2 Tablespoons Colavita Balsamic Vinegar
12 strips pre-cooked bacon
6 Large sandwich rolls, seeded and split
6 Butter lettuce leaves
1. Preheat gas grill to a medium high heat.
2. Place well crushed pineapple, 1 Tablespoon soy sauce and honey into a food processor. Process until smooth. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
3. Place 1/2 Cup cilantro, 1/2 Cup green onion, coconut, lime juice, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 clove garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt into a food processor. Process until well combined, then slowly drizzle in Colavita Extra Virgin Olive while processor is running. Pour into a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate Island pesto.
4. Place ground beef, remaining 1/2 Cup green onion, 1/2 Cup cilantro, 2 Tablespoons ginger, 2 Tablespoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, and 2 cloves minced garlic into a large bowl. With hands or large spoon, gently mix all ingredients until well combined, trying to handle meat as little as possible to prevent compacting meat. Form into 6 equal size patties.
5. When grill is ready, brush grill rack and medium heat proof skillet with vegetable oil. Set skillet aside. Brush both sides of patties with pineapple glaze. Place patties on grill, cover, and cook for 4 minutes, until bottom is brown. Brush both sides of patties with additional glaze. With spatula, turn over patties and cook an additional 4 minutes, or until done to your preference (internal temperature of 160 degrees F). Remove and keep warm. Brush both sides of pineapple rings with Colavita Balsamic Vinegar and place on grill. Grill for about 2 minutes, turning once or until nice grill marks appear. Place bacon strips in lightly greased skillet and place on grill. Cook until well crisped. Place rolls, cut side down, on outer edges of grill to lightly toast.
6. Spread Island pesto onto both sides of warm toasted rolls. Layer each bottom roll with a lettuce leaf, a burger, a grilled pineapple ring, 2 strips of crisp bacon and top rolls. Serve and Enjoy!