RECIPES: Recipe Details
Surf N Turf
The Surf N Turf burger brings my midwest love of beef and combines it with my Eastern North Carolina love of Blue Crab into a simple and quick backyard grilling success. You can
1 Tablespoon Course Salt
1 teaspoon Hungarian Sweet Paprika
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Coarsely Ground Pepper
1 Teaspoon dried Ground Thyme
1 Teaspoon finely ground coffee beans
2 lb 20% Fat Ground Beef
1 lb Backfin Blue Crab Meat
(6) Large Portobello Mushroom Caps
(6) Thick slices of Baby Swiss Cheese
(6) Thick Slices of Red Onion
(1) Large ripe Avocado
A1 Steak Sauce
(6) Kaiser Bun (Sliced)
1)Prepare the gas grill (medium-high heat).
2)Make the Robb Walsh Cowboy rub by combining the first (6) ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
3)In a metal mixing bowl combine the ground beef and the crab meat and mix well using your hands.
4)Divide the meat/crab mix into (6) equal portions. Form the meat into (6) large patties approximately Â¼â€ larger in diameter than the mushroom caps.
5)Using your hands sprinkle the patties with the Cowboy rub on both sides and pat the rub into the meat. Let the patties sit 20 minutes at room temperature.
6)Remove the stems from the mushrooms and spoon out the interior meat of the mushroom until the mushroom is about Â¼â€ thick.
7)Sprinkle the inside and outside of the mushroom with generous amount of olive oil (about 1 tablespoon for each mushroom).
8)Place the Burger patties on the grill. Grill the first side about 4 minutes until brown and turn. Cook additional 4 minutes for medium or to desired doneness.
9)Place the mushroom caps on the grill about 2 minutes per side. The mushroom caps should become flimsy when they are done. If they are done before the burger patties set aside and keep warm.
10)Slice the avocado in half and remove the seed. Slice each half into 1/8â€ thick slices.
11) 2 minutes prior to removing the burgers from the grill place the mushroom caps on top of the burger patties.
12) Place a slice of Swiss cheese onto each mushroom cap and close the grill lid. Remove the burgers from the grill after the cheese is totally melted and stringy.
13) Remove the patties from the grill and place each on a bun. Place a slice of onion on the cheese. Then place slices of avocado on the onion. Top the burger with A1 Steak sauce and complete it with the bun top!
The flavor speaks for itself!