RECIPES: Recipe Details
Southwest Burgers with Jalapeno Mayo
This recipe was inspired by my husband who has a great love for spicy food. I also enjoy spicy food, but don't necessarily enjoy the heat that can come with it. So I believe this recipe to be a great "marriage" of our two preferences, no pun intended. Like our marriage, there's a little bit of spice and everything nice. Enjoy!
1. 2lbs. of ground angus beef
2. 1 Tsp. salt
3. 1/2 Tsp. fresh ground pepper
4. 1 Tsp. worchestershire sauce
5. 1/4 cup of fresh grated onion
6. Cooking Spray for Grilling
7. 12 slices of pepperjack cheese
7. 6 onion rolls
8. 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
9. 1 cup mayonnaise
10. 1/2 small lime
11. 1 small jalapeno
12. 1 large tomato
13. 4 cups of shredded lettuce
1. Start by unwrapping 2lbs of ground angus beef and placing into a large mixing bowl. 2. Add 1 Tsp. salt, 1/2 Tsp. fresh ground pepper, and 1 Tsp. worchestire sauce to the ground beef. 3. Using a basic hand grater, grate 1/4 cup of fresh onion (with juice) and add to beef mixture. 4. Wash and dry hands thoroughly. 5. Begin mixing beef mixture with hands lightly just until all ingredients are combined. Thoroughly wash and dry hands. 6. While the beef mixture is coming more to a room temperature, take Pam Cooking Spray for Grilling to the Propane Gas Grill and spray all grill racks. 7. Ignite gas grill and allow temperature to reach 400 degrees. 8. Return to beef mixture and divide beef into 6 evenly sized patties (about a 1/2 inch thick.) 9. Place patties on a plate and return to gas grill. 10. Place beef patties on grill and allow to cook for 5 minutes on each side. 11. Move beef patties to the top rack of the grill (or outside edges of bottom rack if there is no top rack.) 12. Turn grill heat to low. 13. Top each beef patty with two slices of pepperjack cheese. 14. Once cheese has melted, remove beef patties from grill and place on a plate. 15. While grill is on low, slice 6 onion rolls in half and place each side on the grill until warm (split side down.) 16. Once warm, remove rolls from grill and place on a seperate plate. 17. Take both plates to your cooking area. 18. Find matching tops and bottoms to rolls and place side by side (split side up.) 19. Finely chop 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro and add to a small bowl. 18. Add 1 cup of mayonnaise to the cilantro and mix well. 19. Cut 1 small lime in half and squeeze one half into the mayonnaise mixture. 20. Mince 1 small jalapeno (with seeds and membrane removed) and add to mayonnaise mixture. Mix well until all ingredients are combined. 21. Spread mayonnaise mixture over the bottom and top sides of all 6 onion rolls. 22. Place each beef patty on each bottom half of the 6 rolls. 23. Slice one large tomato and place one slice of tomato on top of each beef patty. 24. Evenly distribute 4 cups of shredded lettuce over the tops of all 6 patties (on top of the tomato.) 25. Place the tops of the onion rolls on top of the shredded lettuce. 26. Enjoy your Southwest Burgers with Jalapeno Mayo!
This can also be made using a charcoal grill. However, since my home grill is a propane gas grill, I wrote the recipe using my settings for the gas grill.