RECIPES: Recipe Details
Saigon Beef and Vegetable Burgers
My inspiration this time stems from my strong craving of seaweed as a supplement. I’ve been on a mad search to find the seaweed salad I’ve recently been buying at local markets at a less expensive price. So I had the bright idea to go to the Saigon Market where oriental foods are sold. There I found an AMAZING variety of foods I’d love to work with.
2 tbsp. pure sesame oil
1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
½ cup diced sweet red bell pepper
1 1/3 cups broccoli crown (stem sliced thin) cut flower in small pieces
2 tbsp. chopped garlic
1/2 tsp. Chinese Five Star Spice
½ cup Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon Wine
¼ cup water
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
1 tsp. Tabasco Brand Chipotle Sauce
14.5 oz. can bean sprouts drained well by pushing can lid in on can
2 Tbsp. Brown Gravy powder
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 lbs. ground top round 90/10(meat)
2 tbsp. Concord grape jelly (meat)
1 tbsp. hoisin sauce (meat)
2 tbsp. Colavita Olive Oil (meat)
5.2 oz. package Chilli Flavor Seaweed instant natural sea vegetable by Feng Zheno I found this in the refrigerator at the Saigon Market. This is optional because it is delicious with or without in case it’s not available.
6 sandwich (lg. burger shape) rolls with sesame seeds
Roll Reynolds’s Brand Aluminum Foil
1. Preheat closed grill to high and clean if necessary. Reclose.
2. In a 9 inch or comparable size cast iron frying pan coat bottom with sesame oil.
3. Slice mushrooms, dice peppers, cut broccoli, and chop garlic. Drain bean sprouts and put in pan.
4. Add wine, water, hoisin sauce, Chipotle Sauce, 1 tbsp. soy sauce to pan. Cover tightly with foil and place on grill. Reclose grill and cook 10 minutes on high without looking.
5. In a large bowl mix 1 tbsp. tamari soy and 1 tbsp. hoisin sauces and grape jelly, stir in cold burger with spoon. Form 6 patties.
6. At 10 minute mark for vegetables put burgers on grill and open vegetables; stir. Leave grill and pan uncovered. Cook 6 more minutes stirring vegetables occasionally throughout cooking process.
7. Flip burgers by pressing metal spatula against grill. Continue cooking 6 more minutes.
8. Remove burgers and let rest. Stir powder gravy into vegetables. Continue cooking 3 minutes.
9. If you are going to use the step/ingredient seaweed, mix 2 flavor packs into seaweed now.
10. Assemble burgers by putting 1 burger, 1/3 cup vegetables and 2 tbsp. seaweed onto each roll.
Although the seaweed was different than what I had before, it still was an interesting surprise as was this dish. If you like oriental food and this combination of vegetables you won’t be disappointed! And if you can’t find the brand of seaweed I did (yes Chilli flavor) substitute another that looks good! Or you can skip this step all together. It still tastes awesome without. I’ve tried it both ways!