RECIPES: Recipe Details
Red Chile Piñon Burger
2.25 pounds ground chuck
3 cloves garlic, crushed
¼ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tsp. coarse sea salt
½ cup mild red chile puree
¼ cup piñon pine nuts, chopped
Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill
6 pieces thick-sliced bacon
6 slices asadero cheese
6 Sara Lee Heart Healthy Wheat Hamburger Buns
3 Tbsp. Mayonesa (by Kraft –
Mayonnaise with Lime Juice added)
1 tsp. red chili powder
6 ripe tomato slices
6 slices red onion
24 slices ripe avocado
• Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat gas grill to medium-hot.
• To make the patties, combine the ground chuck with the crushed garlic, chopped cilantro, sea salt, red chile puree and chopped pine nuts. Mix well, handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions, then form into patties.
• When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack and cook, turning once, until done – about 6 minutes on each side.
• Meanwhile, cook the bacon slices directly on the grill rack – about 3 minutes per side.
• During the final moments of grilling the patties, place a slice of asadero cheese on each patty.
• When the patties and bacon are cooked, set them aside on a cooler part of the grill to keep warm.
• Separate the buns, then spray the cut portion of each half with the spray margarine.
• Place the buns, cut side down, on the grill rack and toast lightly.
• Meanwhile, mix the mayonesa and red chili powder in a small bowl.
• To assemble burgers, spread some of the Chili Mayonnaise on the cut sides of each bun. On each bun bottom, place a patty, bacon, tomato slice, red onion slice, and 4 slices of avocado. Add the bun tops and serve. Makes 6 burgers.
This delicious combination of red chile and pine nuts right in the patty makes the Red Chile Piñon Burger a real palate pleaser. Add some chili mayonnaise, tomato, red onion, and avocado, pair it with a white zinfandel and you’ve got a picnic worth remembering!