RECIPES: Recipe Details
Parmesan Salmon Burger with Basil Aioli
My garden has been abundant with fresh basil this year, so I've been constantly imagining new ways to use my delicious crop. This salmon burger is a light alternative to regular burgers that features the clean, crisp flavors of lemon, fresh basil and fresh tomatoes which I think pair deliciously with salmon.
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
20 fresh basil leaves
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 cloves garlic
¼ cup fresh Italian parsley, stems removed
1 large shallot, peeled and quartered
2 pounds Atlantic salmon fillet, skinned
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 thinly sliced Roma tomatoes
2 cups loosely packed spinach leaves
6 kaiser rolls
1. To make basil aioli, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, basil leaves, ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper, and garlic cloves in a food processor. Puree until smooth.
2. Pour mayonnaise mixture into a bowl and clean the work bowl of the food processor.
3. Add parsley and shallot to food processor bowl. Pulse several times to finely chop.
4. Add salmon and pulse several more times, until there are no large chunks of salmon but the mixture retains some texture.
5. Pour salmon mixture into a bowl. Stir in egg, Parmesan cheese, panko breadcrumbs, lemon zest, salt, and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
6. Form salmon mixture into six patties.
7. Preheat a propane gas grill to high heat, then place salmon patties on hot grill. Grill 5 minutes per side or until patties reach an internal temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. Spread 3 tablespoons of basil aioli onto each kaiser roll. Place a salmon patty on each roll and top with sliced tomatoes and a handful of spinach leaves. Enjoy!
If you prefer to prepare this recipe without a food processor, you just need to finely mince the basil, shallots, and parsley by hand and mash the salmon with a fork or potato masher.