RECIPES: Recipe Details
Orange-Ginger-Chipotle Burgerwith Pickled Lettuce Slaw and Chunky Ricotta Salata Spread
I love the flavor of orange and beef!
Orange Ginger Reduction:
4 cups fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, strained from any seeds
2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon ground chipotle pepper
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/3 cup yellow onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
2 1/4 pounds ground chuck (80% Lean)
Pickled Lettuce Slaw:
3 cups romaine hearts, rough chiffonade
1 1/2 cups kosher dill pickles, sliced into matchstick pieces
3 tablespoons juice from pickle jar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Ricotta Salata Spread:
1 cup ricotta salata cheese*, small dice
1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Vegetable oil for grilling
6 sesame seed buns, split
1. Pre-heat gas or charcoal grill to medium heat (350 degrees F)
2. In a fireproof saucepan, bring orange juice, lemon juice, and ginger to a boil. Move saucepan to medium-low heat and continue to simmer until reduced to a thick maple syrup consistency, approximately 45 minutes. Stir occasionally. If reduction appears too thick, you may thin with extra orange juice. 4 cups should yield approximately Â¾ cups when reduced. Remove reduction from saucepan and set aside.
3. To make the patties, combine ground chipotle pepper and kosher salt in a small ramekin and mix together until well blended. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the yellow onion, garlic, ground chuck, and chipotle/salt blend. Mix all together until well incorporated. Form into 6 equal size patties and set aside until ready to grill.
4. To make the pickled lettuce slaw, combine romaine lettuce, pickles, pickle juice, and kosher salt in a separate mixing bowl and set aside.
5. To make the ricotta salata spread, combine the ricotta salata, whole milk ricotta, parsley, mint, olive oil, lemon zest, and kosher salt in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to build your burger.
Grilling and Serving:
6. On a clean and hot grill, brush grill with vegetable oil using paper towels and pair of tongs. Grill burgers 6 minutes on one side, flipping once and continue to grill for 4 minutes until fully cooked. Briefly toast sesame seed buns on outer edge of grill.
7. To assemble burgers spread generous amount of the ricotta salata spread on cut-side of bottom and top halves of bun. Mound equal portions of pickled lettuce slaw onto bottom bun and then slide patty on top. Spoon orange-ginger reduction on top of patty and replace top half of bun. Serve.
When I first conceptualized this recipe, I wanted to re-create the classic orange and beef flavor combo in the form of a burger. When testing the recipe, I first used whole sliced oranges, but found the flavor was a little insipid and could not stand up against the savory beef. I then tried the orange juice reduction, and surprisingly found this a better option, which really intensified the orange flavor with the added element of ginger. To reduce any bitterness, which often occurs in an orange juice reduction, I added a little lemon juice to tame the bitterness and balance the flavors. To complete the burger, I added a sourness element from the pickled slaw and a saltiness element from the Ricotta Salata cheese.
*If ricotta salata is not available at your local market, you may substitute with Mexican cotija or Greek feta.