RECIPES: Recipe Details
New Orleans Cajun-Creole Burger
I am a native of New Orleans, LA. I relocated to Georgia to retain employment with the railroad industry. Retired in 1994 devoting much of my time writing and researching the heritage and culture of Louisiana cuisine. My burger entry is listed below.
1 1/2 ground beef chuck
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup bell pepper chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, white bulb and half of green tops, chopped - 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh firm ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon softened cream cheese
In a large bowl,combine all ingredients well by hand and shape evenly into 6 burgers. Using a char-broil outdoor charcoal grill. When coals are white ash and of medium heat determined by holding hand a few inches above grill. Cooking time varies from 5 to 8 minutes on each side of burger. (Use a cheese cloth soaked with olive oil to grease grill.) I use either buns or garlic bread. Top with mayonnaise, mustard, onions, lettuce and tomatoes.
Using a combination of Cajun and Creole ingredients in my burger for a taste of cajun and a influence of Italian Creole. One may note that the Creoles used cream cheese in many of their recipes.