RECIPES: Recipe Details
NEO-MOLE BURGER WITH GRINGO KETCHUP
We held our own build-a-better burger cook-off in our backyard-- by invitation only -- and I won hands down with this burger. I think the secret to its success was its complexity. No one could really tell what was in it. They only knew that they loved it and wanted another bite.
2 pounds freshly ground chuck (80/20)
1/3 cup sweet red onion, chopped
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ cup picante salsa (medium, or mild if preferred)
½ cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 cup HEINZ Tomato Ketchup
1/3 cup A.1. STEAK SAUCE
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon white onion, minced
1 teaspoon celery salt
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
1 tablespoon cream style Horseradish
Crunchy Mexican Salad
1 cup celery, chopped
1/3 cup plain goat cheese, softened and crumbled
1 tablespoon picante salsa (medium, or mild if preferred)
2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
12 slices light rye bread
1. Preheat gas grill to medium-high.
2. To make patties, combine chuck, red onion, paprika, sea salt, toasted sesame seeds, black pepper, picante salsa, and chocolate chips in a large bowl, handling as little as possible. Shape into 6 patties to fit the rye bread. Cover and refrigerate.
3. To make gringo ketchup, combine ketchup, steak sauce, chili powder, white onion, celery salt, parsley, and creamy horseradish in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
4. To make crunchy Mexican salad, combine celery, goat cheese, and picante salsa in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
5. Brush grill rack with vegetable oil. Place patties on rack, cover, and cook, turning once until done to preference, 4-5 minutes on each side for medium. Spread melted butter on one side of light rye bread and place buttered-side down on the outer edges of grill rack to toast lightly during the last minutes of grilling.
6. To assemble burgers, place patty on the buttered-side of toasted rye bread, spread equal amounts of gringo ketchup on burger and top with equal amounts of crunchy salad. Add top slice of toasted rye bread, with buttered-side facing out, and serve immediately.
MAKES SIX SERVINGS.