RECIPES: Recipe Details
My bitter beer burger
A good beef burger with onions reduced in dark, bitter beer on a real Amoroso roll. I put a mess of the onions on top of the burger, crumble in some stilton cheese to give it a little bite, then top with spinach sauteed in olive oil with garlic shaving and red pepper seed.
an authentic Amoroso roll
dark beer like Newcastle Brown Ale
red pepper seed
1. Make sure you get a real Amoroso roll because you can't make a good sandwich without good bread.
2. Heat the saucepan for the spinach, first melt some garlic shavings in olive oil as the pan heats, then sautee the spinach, add red pepper seed and (more) garlic as desired.
3. Chop onion into 1/4in slices, cook it in a frying pan until it becomes translucent, then pour in the Newkie ale and reduce.
4. Cook the burger in the frying pan, either with or without the reduced onions in the pan.
5. Toast bun, put the burger on the bottom, spoon some onions on top, crumble some cheese in the onions so it melts, then top with the spinach.
6. Eat the burger and drink whatever's left of the beer.
Try to use as little beer as possible for the reduction. That way there's more left over to drink.