RECIPES: Recipe Details
My inspiration today was enticed by some of my wonderful Greek friends. I was given some feta and cured olives by a friend to work with. This is what I came up with!
3 tomatoes ripe, firm and red one cut in Â¾ "pieces equaling 1 cup and two sliced in Â¼ inch circles
5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Â½ cup Greek olives that were cured in oil; pitted and cut in to 3
1 tbsp. fresh chopped oregano
1 tbsp. garlic fresh and chopped
1/3 cup tamarind candy (found at all/most Oriental Markets) itâ€™s crystallized like ginger!
187 ml. mini bottle Sutter Home Merlot Wine
2 Â½ lbs. ground beef 80/20
Â½ cup feta cheese
Â½ tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 lg. sweet white onion cut in Â¼ in. slab circles. (Donâ€™t separate layers.)
2 cucumbers (not overripe) peeled and sliced in thin circles
6 sweet pepper rolls
Reynolds Brand Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
1. Preheat the closed grill for high heat and prepare vegetables by peeling, chopping and cutting.
2. Stir 2 tbsp. olive oil, chopped oregano, chopped garlic, tamarind candy (cut in small pieces if they are too large), cured pitted olives and the Merlot wine in a 7 inch. cast iron frying pan (or one of comparable size). Place pan on grill, close grillâ€™s lid and cook 14 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
3. In a large bowl put burger, feta, 1 tbsp. olive oil and pepper. Stir with utensil and form into 6 burgers. At the 14 minute mark of chutney cooking place burgers on the grill and cook 1st side 4 minutes.
4. On a 1 ft. piece of foil put 2 tbsp. olive oil and lay onion slices on oil. Sprinkle each onion with garlic powder. Place them on grill cook 3 minutes, flip and cook until golden colored.
5. Flip burger by pressing metal spatula against grill and cook 2nd side 6 additional minutes.
6. Serve each burger on a sweet pepper roll topped with tomato slices, cucumber, barbecued onion and 1 generous tablespoon of Mediterranean chutney spread evenly.
This burger was just amazing and delicious. Just a consideration, ground lamb may make a nice substitute if you are fresh out of yummy beef burger.