RECIPES: Recipe Details
Italian Style Turkey Burgers
I was watching last year's contest around Christmas time. Every party I went to that year had served steak, so I did not want any more red meat, but the burgers during last year's competition looked to good to pass up. I really wanted to create a burger for the contest, so I thought why not try a turkey burger instead. I used ground turkey with a simpler recipe, and served it to my girlfriend. When she ate it and wanted us to have it again next week, that's when I knew I was on to something.
2 lbs gound turkey
3 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup chopped white onions
1/2 teaspoon McCormick Italian Seasoning
3 medium sized fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
3 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 ciabatta rolls
1 bag of spring mix salad greens
1 medium sized ball of fresh mozzarella
1 medium sized tomato
1. Place the ground turkey into a large bowl.
2. Using a garlic press, add the 3 cloves of garlic to the turkey.
3. Add the onions and Italian seasoning to the turkey as well.
4. Chop up the basil leaves and then add them to the turkey.
5. Add the balsamic vinegar and the extra virgin olive oil.
6. After all the ingredients have been added, mix them all together with your hands until the ingredients are well mixed.
7. Make 6 burger patties out of the turkey.
8. On a gas grill, on medium heat, cook the turkey burgers for around 12 minutes (6 minutes on each side) or until fully cooked.
9. While the turkey burgers are cooking, toast the ciabatta rolls.
10. After the ciabatta rolls are toasted, place them on a plate and place a handful of the spring mix salad greens on the bottom part of the bun.
11. Once the turkey burgers are fully cooked, place a burger on top of the salad greens.
12. Slice the mozzarella and tomatoes (do not dice the tomatoes, only slice).
13. Place a slice of mozzarella on top of the turkey burger.
14. Place the tomato on top of the mozzarella.
15. Place the top part of the bun on top of the tomato and enjoy!
I primarily used a grill pan to cook the turkey burgers. I just cooked them until they were fully done. Sometimes I would drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil on top of the mozzarella before I place the tomato on top.