RECIPES: Recipe Details
Il Hamburger Col Cambozola
Back in the day, many a girls
6 heads garlic
5 tablespoons Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided, plus additional for greasing grill rack
2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/3 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, minced
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 pounds ground chuck
2 tablespoons high quality balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
6 bun-sized focaccia bread sections, split
10 ounces Cambozola cheese, cut in 1/4 inch slices
1 cup loosely packed arugula leaves
1. Prepare a gas grill to medium-high.
2. Cut just enough from top of garlic heads to expose all cloves. Fold a 12 inch by 48 inch piece of heavy aluminum foil in half; place garlic in the middle. Pour 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over each garlic head. Carefully fold up and seal foil around garlic. Place foil packet on grill and cook for 35-45 minutes or until cloves are soft and golden brown; remove from heat. When garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze cloves into a small bowl. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and mash with a fork; set aside.
3. In a small food processor, blend sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl, cover and set aside until ready to use.
4. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, fire-proof skillet over grill. Add onion and cook for 10 minutes or until soft and golden brown; stirring frequently. Add mushrooms, sugar, rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for an additional 15-20 minutes or until onions are dark brown and caramelized. Move skillet to outer edge of grill to keep warm until ready to use.
5. To make patties, gently combine ground chuck, balsamic vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a large bowl. Form into 6 equal patties in the shape of the focaccia sections.
6. Brush grill rack with olive oil. Place patties on grill, cover, and cook for 4 minutes. Turn patties over and cook an additional 4 minutes, or until done to preference. During the last few minutes of grilling, place focaccia sections, cut side down, on outer edges of grill to lightly toast.
7. Spread sun-dried tomato pesto over the top roll halves and roasted garlic over the bottom halves. Layer bottom roll halves with Cambozola slices, burger, a spoonful of the onion-mushroom mixture, arugula leaves and roll tops.
Keep Cambozola chilled until just before assembling burgers.