RECIPES: Recipe Details
I Love NY Salmon Burger
This recipe draws on the flavors of a New York classic - Bagels with Lox and all the trimmings. Having spent my life in the New York Metro area this NY classic has been enjoyed with family and friends at many Sunday brunches in our home and serves as the motivation for this recipe. I created the I Love NY Salmon Burger as a means celebrating and enjoying the flavors of one of my favorite NY classics during other meals.
2 Pounds Wild Salmon Fillet, skin and bones removed
2 Tablespoons Lemon Zest
2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Dill
2 Tablespoons Brined Capers, Drained, Rinsed, and Chopped
2 Tablespoons Grey Poupon Harvest Course Ground Mustard
2 Tablespoons Finley Chopped Red Onion
2 Tablespoons Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil (note a total of 10 Tablespoons are used in this recipe)
2/3 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
2 Tablespoons Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 Tablespoons Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Sherry Vinegar (preferably a high quality, aged or vintage sherry vinegar)
1 Medium Sized Shallot Finely Chopped
2 Tablespoons Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
Fresh Ground Pepper
7 Ounces Baby Arugula Leaves
1 English or Seedless Cucumber
6 Freshly Baked Kaiser Rolls
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
(1) Cut Salmon fillets into one inch cubes.
(2) Add Salmon, Lemon Zest, Dill, Capers, Grey Poupon Harvest Course Ground Mustard, Red Onion and Two Tablespoons of Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a Food Processor.
(3) Pulse Food Processor until mixture is roughly chopped and well combined. Pause the Food Processor to scrape down the sides as needed. Do not over mix.
(4) Transfer Salmon mixture to a mixing bowl and combine Panko bread crumbs.
(5) Form Salmon Burgers by equally dividing the salmon mixture into 6 patties. Patties should be consistently thick and appropriately fill the width of the bun.
(6) Lightly brush each Salmon Burger on both sides using two tablespoons of Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Wrap each burger in plastic wrap.
(7) Place Salmon Burgers into the freezer for 30 minutes. Do not stack burgers on top of each other and place onto freezer rack equally spaced apart. While burgers are freezing, begin preparing Sherry-Shallot Vinaigrette and accompaniments below.
(8) Remove patties from freezer, remove plastic wrap and grill following the assembly directions below.
(B) Sherry-Shallot Vinaigrette:
(1) Combine six tablespoons of Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil with two tablespoons Sherry Vinegar, finely chopped shallot, two tablespoons Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard, a pinch of salt, and freshly ground pepper (two turns of a pepper mill) into a blender.
(2) Combine mixture using a medium speed until emulsified.
(3) Cover and set aside at room temperate for use during assembly as instructed below.
(A) Arugula â€“ rinse with water and spin dry ensuring all sand is removed and leaves are dry.
(B) English or Seedless Cucumber - thinly slice widthwise 1/16 to 1/8 of inch (use a mandolin if available).
(C) Kaiser Rolls - cut each roll in half at the widest horizontal point. If rolls are exceptionally thick, remove some of the inner bread from the top half of the roll.
Preheat grill using a medium high flame and to approximately 350 to 400 degrees.
Lightly coat grill using a brush and two tablespoons of vegetable oil. Place Salmon Burgers on the grill and cook them until they are medium-well (approximately 4 minutes per side). Make certain to turn patties a 1/4 turn per side to create crossing grill lines .
Immediately after the burgers are placed on the grill, combine Arugula and 2/3 of the Sherry-Shallot Vinaigrette in a mixing bowl and toss until Vinaigrette is equally distributed. If needed, add the remaining dressing and/or salt and pepper to taste. Set aside away from grill/cooking area until patties are done.
After flipping the Salmon Burgers, place rolls on the grill and lightly toast the cut sides of the rolls until they just turn gold in color. Flip and warm the outside of the rolls.
Remove salmon patties and rolls from the grill.
Working quickly, assemble each burger by placing a single layer of overlapping sliced English cucumber on top of the bottom half of the roll. Top the sliced Cucumber with a Grilled Salmon Burger. Top the Grilled Salmon Burger with 1/6th of the Arugula tossed with Sherry Shallot Vinaigrette. Finally add the top half of the roll and cut the Sandwich vertically in half and serve.
This recipe calls for a total of 10 Tablespoons of Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO). Based on my interpretation of the contest guidelines, I have itemized or individually stated in the order that the recipe calls for the amounts of extra virgin olive oil. Just in case my interpretation is incorrect - I noted the total amount needed after the first extra virgin olive oil ingredient listed. Hopefully this will cover all of the bases.