RECIPES: Recipe Details
hot wurst and purple kraut burger
Hi, I am George, a one time deli chef, church banquet cook and full time rcovery room nurse. I enjoy cooking. I like combining different tastes and ingredients with different textures. I have tried out this burger recipe several times and have tweaked it many times. I think I have a winning combination. I think you will enjoy it.
1. 2 lg. California Avocados, halved,peeled,and seed removed.
2. 1/4 cup GREY POUPON MUSTARD
3. 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
4. 7 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt(1/4 tsp. for California Avocado/GREY POUPON dressing,6 tsp. for burger mixture, and 1 tsp. for kraut)
5. 1 1/2 lb. ground sirloin
6. 8oz. HOT GROUND SAUSAGE
7. 3 tsp. coarse ground pepper
8. 4 cups purple cabbage-shredded and coarsely chopped
9. 1 cup red onion sliced and coarsely chopped
10. 1 tsp. carrawaey seed
11. 1/2 cup COLAVITA EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
12. 1/2 cup COLAVITA RED RASPBERRY VINEGAR
13. 2/3 cup light brown sugar packed
14. 1/2 cup honey
15. 6 slices jarlsburg cheese
16. 6 onion rolls sliced
vegetable oil for grilling rack
1. Prepare a meduim-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or pre-heat a gas grill to medium high heat. 2. To prepare the California Avacado/Grey Poupon Mustard Dressing halve, peel, and remove seeds from 2 large California Avacados and place in a medium size mixing bowl. Add 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt, 1 tsp. red pepper flakes and 1/4 cup Grey Poupon Mustard. Mash avacado coarsely with a fork and blend to a chunky texture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. 3. Slice and dice into cubes 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak. Place 1/2 of sirloin cubes into food processor with 4 ounces of Jimmy Dean Hot ground sausage and 3 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt. Pulse until cubes are ground and blended with sausage and seasoning. Pour ground sirloin mixture into a large mixing bowl. Repeat same steps until all remaining meat mixture is ground. In the large mixing bowl handling as little as possible, meld the meat into a large ball. Begin forming mixture into 6 patties large enough to accomodate the buns. Place patties on a tray and refrigerate. 4. In a large mixing bowl, pour 1/2 cup Colavita Red Raspberry Vinegar, 1/2 cup Colavita extra virgin olive oil, 2/3 cups light brown sugar packed, 1/2 cup honey, 1 tsp seasoned salt and 1 tsp. carraway seed. Mix well until all ingredients are blended. Quarter and core 1 medium head of purple cabbage. Shred each quarter and coarsely chop (should be approximately 4 cups). Peel, slice and coarsely chop 1 medium red onion (should equal 1 cup). Place cabbage and onion into the blended Colavita Red Raspberry Vinegar and Colavita Extra Virgin olive Oil mixture. Toss until cabbage and onion are well coated. Pour mixture into 9 inch fire-proof skillet. Place on pre-heated grill and cover grill, stirring the mixture occasionally until liquids are reduced for approximately 20-25 minutes. Remove from grill and cover. 5. Lightly brush vegetable oil on pre-heated grill. Place patties around the grill over medium heat cooking until juices are present approximately 5-7 minutes on each side turning once. When browned on each side place 2 TBLS. of purple cabbage kraut on each patty and cover with one slice of jarlsburg cheese. Replace cover on grill for approximately 30 seconds or until cheese has softened over kraut mixture. Remove patties to warm tray. 6. Place sliced onion rolls cut side down on the grill toasting until lightly browned. Remove from heat and place on serving platter. 7. To assemble spread 1 1/2 TBLS. California Avacado/Grey Poupon Dressing onto cut side of bottom onion roll. Place patty topped with Kraut and cheese onto Avacado/Grey Poupon mixture. Place Top half of onion roll cut side down over patty. Serve.
Serve with Sutter Home Merlot.