RECIPES: Recipe Details
GUAC-AIOLI CHEESE BURGERS WITH PICKLED RED ONIONS AND JALAPENO-LETTUCE SALAD
Over the years, I've been inspired to make variations of the American burger. My focus was to do a twist on the traditional accompaniments and make a Latino burger with modern tastes. This succulent burger makes the perfect meal. It combines a host of sweet/salt/sour flavors to tantalize the taste buds to make America's favorite sandwich - The Guac-Aioli Cheese Burger.
PICKLED RED ONIONS
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes, crushed
2 small red onions, sliced into 1/3-inch rings
2/3 cup lite mayonnaise
2 tablespoons canned, seeded, minced chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon jarred roasted garlic, pureed
1 large California avocado, peeled, pitted, halved
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon seeded, finely chopped tomato
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
JALAPENO LETTUCE SALAD
2 1/2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 jalapeno chile, stemed, seeded, minced
1/4 cup of the prepared Chipotle Aioli
3-ounces dried spicy chorizo sausage, casing removed, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 pound ground beef chuck
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons finely minced shallot
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Vegetable oil for brushing on grill rack
6 (1-ounce) slices Monterey Jack cheese
6 brioche buns, split
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
2. To make the pickled onions, in a fireproof medium saucepan, add vinegar, water, sugar, salt and chili flakes. Place on the grid and bring to a boil. Add onions; remove from grill. Let sit for 20 minutes. Drain.
3. To make the chipotle aioli, in a small bowl combine all ingredients. Reserve 1/4 cup aioli for the salad. Cover and chill; set aside.
4. To make the guacamole, scoop the flesh out of the avocado into a bowl; discard the skins. Coarsely mash the avocado with a potato masher. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined. Cover; set aside.
5. For the salad, toss lettuce, parsley, jalapeno and reserved 1/4 cup aioli in a bowl. Chill and set aside.
6. To make the patties, pulse chorizo in a food processor until crumbly. Transfer to a large bowl with the remaining ingredients. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it; mix well. Form the mixture into 6 equal patties to fit buns.
7. Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 5 to 7 minutes on each side for medium. During the last few minutes of grilling, place one slice of cheee on each patty to melt and place buns, cut sides down, around the edges of the grill to toast lightly.
8. To assemble the burgers, spread the remaining aioli over the cut sides of the bun tops. Spread the guacamole on each bun bottom and cover with the salad, a patty and equal portions of the pickled onions. Add the bun tops and serve. Makes 6 burgers