RECIPES: Recipe Details
Gorgonzola Balsamic Burger
The history of Upper Michigan's mining districts has brought together ethic groups from all over northern and southern Europe. Italian is one of the great standout cuisines in this area that seems to transcend ethnicity and is popular with all Americans throughout the region. This simple recipe highlights some basic Italian ingredients that are readily available in any grocery store and is easy to prepare. The combination of these flavors makes a unique but classic American taste.
3 large garlic cloves
1/3 cup olive oil
1 large red onion
1 cup balsamic vinegar
6 pieces 3 1/2"x 3 1/2" focaccia bread
1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
6 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups mixed field greens (lettuce, arugula, radicchio)
1) Prepare charcoal grill until coals are burning to a medium heat or turn on gas grill to medium-high heat.
2) Place small saucepan of balsamic vinegar on grill and bring to a boil. Reduce liquid for about 10 minutes until 1/4 cup of thick syrup is left. Watch closely so syrup doesn't burn and then remove from grill.
3) Mince garlic and combine with olive oil.
4) Slice red onion into 1/8" slices, brush with garlic oil, sprinkle with salt and begin cooking on grill mesh so they do not fall through grill. Grill on both sides until tender and medium charred about 15 minutes.
5) Slice the top and bottom of focaccia squares apart and brush lightly with garlic oil and grill cut sides until lightly toasted. Keep warm at edge of grill.
5) Separate ground chuck into 6 portions. Flatten each burger patty in the palm of your hand, salt top surface and place 1 oz. of crumbled gorgonzola on top of patty and then fold edges up over the cheese, so the cheese is all contained in center of patty. Flatten lightly and then salt top and bottom of patty. Brush grill with garlic oil and place patties on grill and cook 3 to 4 minutes on a side or until desired doneness.
1) Place cooked burger on focaccia bottom, spread 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard on burger, cover with grilled onions and then drizzle 1 1/2 tsp balsamic reduction on onions, sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper and place field greens on top and then cover with focaccia top.
Makes 6 burgers