RECIPES: Recipe Details
Don’s Submarine Burger - Serves 6
5 Tbsp seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
3 oz Sutter Home cabernet wine
11/2 lb 85% lean ground beef, seasoned with ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper
1/3 cup onion, chopped
3 Tbsp pesto (from a jar, or home-made)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 egg whites
4 Tbsp olive oil
6 Italian bread rolls or buns
12 pieces green leaf lettuce
6 tsp crushed red peppers
6 slices Genoa salami
6 slices mortadella
6 slices sweet capicola
6 slices Provolone cheese
6 slices of Vidalla onion
6 tomato slices
1/3 cup thinly sliced dill pickle, for topping
1. Preheat grill to high
2. In a medium bowl, soak breadcrumbs with Sutter Home cabernet wine.
3. Add seasoned ground beef, chopped onion, pesto, garlic, egg white; mix and make into 6 patties.
4. Brush rolls with olive oil and lightly grill. Then top with a bed of lettuce and crushed red peppers.
5. Brush grill with olive oil and grill burgers 2-1/2 minutes each side.
6. Flip burger once more and add 1 slice per burger of Genoa salami, mortadella, capicola, and top with provolone cheese, grilling about one more minute, or until provolone cheese is melted.
7. Remove from grill and place on prepared rolls. Top with onion slice, tomato slice, and dill pickle slices.