RECIPES: Recipe Details
Citrus and Herb Chicken Burgers
I grow a lot of fresh herbs in my garden, so I spent some time this year exploring some new recipes for them, including using some unusual combinations (at least for me) like basil and mint.
Lemon and Herb Salsa:
1 ½ tablespoons fresh Meyer lemon juice
1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon freshly ground salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large clove garlic, minced
½ cup chopped fresh basil
½ cup chopped fresh mint
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
2 anchovy fillets (regular, not white), drained and finely chopped
½ cup mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoon coarse (kosher or sea) salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
3 green onions, finely chopped
2 pounds fresh ground chicken (preferably half thigh meat and half breast meat,mixed)
Vegetable oil for the grill
6 Kaiser rolls
6 slices fresh tomato
• Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
• To make the salsa whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, salt, pepper, and garlic. Add the basil, mint, parsley, capers, and anchovies, and mix well. Set aside.
• To make the herbed mayonnaise, in a small bowl lightly combine mayonnaise with chopped herbs. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
• To make the patties, in a large bowl combine all patty ingredients. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well.
• Divide chicken mixture into 6 equal portions, form each portion into a patty to fit rolls. Put a small thumb divot in each patty to prevent bulging.
• Brush grill rack with oil. Place patties on rack, cover and grill until cooked through but not dry, turning only once, about 3 minutes per side.
• Lightly toast Kaiser rolls, cut side down, on top rack of grill.
• To assemble the burgers, for each serving, plate the bottom of the toasted Kaiser roll, place a cooked patty on each. Spoon an equal portion of salsa onto each patty, top with a slice of tomato. Spread the top of each Kaiser roll with herbed mayonnaise, and place on top of each burger.
Makes 6 servings.
A light and zesty burger, perfect for hot summer evenings, paired with a light and bubbly wine. (Sutter Home Bubbly Moscato pairs very nicely. Although it is not offered as a choice in the suggested wine pairing category, it is what I served with the taste-testing, and it was very well received)